EZ-ICE and software loading

Dear all,

I found an interesting 'Engineer to Engineer Note' on AD

6ee_34.pdf) on the booting process when the ez-ice is connected to the target device.

I was wondering if there is a similar note on the 'loading process' of an executable file into the target. I haven't found any.

I imagine the emulator will write the program memory (what about data memory?) according to what is specified in the executable, but is there any target register which is modified during this process?

And how does the emulator know that some areas cannot be written because they are in a ROM-type memory? I imagine it uses the architecture file which defines all the segments, but apparently it is not required when i load the executable into the target (ADSP21020 Emulator program).

Any reference and/or explanation would be helpful.

Al

Reply to
alb