Ethernet switch/hub

For a new design I have to embed a 6 port ethernet hub onto a system.
I've never looked at ethernet before and don't really know where to look
for resources.  I've pulled apart a spare hub we have here to discover
an AM79C984 chip connected to a couple of transformers to 4 ethernet
ports which led me onto the web, but it looks like the chip might be
depreciated.  However, it's the level of integration I'd like to
use.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?  I'd like a single chip
solution (of course I know I'll need some peripherals).  I'd also
consider a switch so I could allow 10/100 connections if there is
a single-chip solution for that, but it's not essential by any means.
Price isn't an issue, it's low volume.

Just a few IC types from someone who's used them would be a great start!

Cheers,
Trev

--
Trevor Barton
Isotek Electronics Ltd, 9 Clayton Wood Bank, Leeds, LS16 6QZ, UK.

What about the other AMD stuff e.g. the AM79C875.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/ConnectivitySolutions/ProductInformation/0,,50_2330_6629_2397,00.html

http://www.amd.com/files/connectivitysolutions/networking/am79c875/Am79C875_Data_Sheet_22236H.pdf

Best Regards
John McCabe

To reply by email replace 'nospam' with 'assen'

Re: Ethernet switch/hub

AFAIK, AMD has stopped making Ethernet chips (they want to concentrate on
CPU's and FLASH technology, they said, and screwed us (we were using their
hub chip)).

  -jm

Re: Ethernet switch/hub
On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 17:51:35 +0000 (UTC), Jukka Marin

AMD stopped making the SC320 and screwed us.  They also stopped making
the SC520 and screwed us.

Lots of screwing by AMD going around here.
--
Alex Pavloff - remove BLAH to email
Software Engineer, Eason Technology

Re: Ethernet switch/hub

I've not used these, but they look like they contain everything you ask for:

http://www.realtek.com.tw/products/products1-1.aspx?lineid=2

Regards

Martin

Re: Ethernet switch/hub
The only hubs (repeaters) I have seen were from Intel. For switches,
following companies come to mind quickly: Broadcom, Intel, Marvell, and
Micrel. All these companies make integrated switches. Add power,
magnetics, and a few passives.

Marc Guardiani

To reply directly to me, use the address given below. The domain name is