Ethernet switch/hub

For a new design I have to embed a 6 port ethernet hub onto a system. I've never looked at ethernet before and don't really know where to look for resources. I've pulled apart a spare hub we have here to discover an AM79C984 chip connected to a couple of transformers to 4 ethernet ports which led me onto the web, but it looks like the chip might be depreciated. However, it's the level of integration I'd like to use.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'd like a single chip solution (of course I know I'll need some peripherals). I'd also consider a switch so I could allow 10/100 connections if there is a single-chip solution for that, but it's not essential by any means. Price isn't an issue, it's low volume.

Just a few IC types from someone who's used them would be a great start!

Cheers, Trev

--
Trevor Barton
Isotek Electronics Ltd, 9 Clayton Wood Bank, Leeds, LS16 6QZ, UK.

What about the other AMD stuff e.g. the AM79C875.

Best Regards John McCabe

To reply by email replace 'nospam' with 'assen'

Reply to
John McCabe

I've not used these, but they look like they contain everything you ask for:

Regards

Martin

Reply to
Martin Walton

AFAIK, AMD has stopped making Ethernet chips (they want to concentrate on CPU's and FLASH technology, they said, and screwed us (we were using their hub chip)).

-jm

Reply to
Jukka Marin

AMD stopped making the SC320 and screwed us. They also stopped making the SC520 and screwed us.

Lots of screwing by AMD going around here.

--
Alex Pavloff - remove BLAH to email
Software Engineer, Eason Technology

--

Marc Guardiani

To reply directly to me, use the address given below. The domain name is
phonetic.
fpgaee81-at-eff-why-eye-dot-net
Reply to
Marc Guardiani