Ethernet Controller Basics

Hi, I have been asked to study about SMSC ethernet controller. I am going through the data sheet and am not understanding anything.

So, I wanted to know what is a ethernet controller and how does it work to start with.

I browsed the internet and could not find useful information for newbies like me.

Does any one know any resources on ethernet controller for a layman ?.

How it works and how to configure one to suit ur ends with lots of examples.

This is my first embeedded project.

Please help.

Regards, Maximus

Reply to
john.maximus

The SMC datasheets are rather good in explaining the basics. They tell about how the packets come into and out of the chip. There are buffers that can be used. Together with an intro into TCP/IP it should be sufficient. The TCP/IP basics tell how the packets look like.

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar

Joe G (Home)

Tony (remove the "_" to reply by email)