embedded WLAN

Hi!

I need to attach some 802.11 device to an Infineon XC16x Controller.

Anybody did so already? Can i get any recommendation which WLAN module to use and how to set up the TCP/IP stack? There are several stacks available in ANSI C or especially for my controller, but how to handle the additional WLAN stuff?

Thanks

Reply to
Manuel Abrecht

the

IoSoft

have interfaced a (PCMCIA) WLAN card to a PIC which runs a Web Server. Many of the popular WLAN cards use Intersil's Prism chip set so quite a few cards do, in fact, work. For a "proper job" you need the Intersil programming manual; unfortunately since the sale by Intersil to GlobespanVirata this seems impossible to get hold of. You can, however, clean information from the Linux WLAN drivers, etc. I have successfully used a CompactFlash based WLAN card, with an adapter, in place of the PCMCIA card on the ChipWeb Wireless system. Bear in mind that most (?all) CompactFlash WLAN cards operate at 3V3 not 5V.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Jackson

Hi! Here at Agens

- in danish only), we have developed a driver for the GlobespanVirata PRISM 802.11 chipsets intended for use in 16-32 bit embedded systems. It's running on ARM cores now, but is highly platform independent.

As an embedded system design and development company we have access to the PRISM Programming Manual, however it should be fairly simple to port one of the open source drivers if you're able to accept the licenses. If your know your own platform, PC Card interface and TCP/IP stack well, I guess it'll take 1-3 months depending on the level of functionality and testing you need.

One of the oldest and most used open source drivers can be found at

It's a PRISM chipset Linux driver and has been around for quite a few years now. As Andrew mentions, there is the IoSoft driver too. It isn't an open source driver, but your able get the source code very cheap for evaluation purposes. If you want to use the IoSoft driver i na commercial setting, you'll have to pay an additional license fee to IoSoft.

The

driver is widely used, performs well supports a high level of functionality and a lot of PC Cards. It's somewhat complex and built for 32 bit systems. The IoSoft driver is built for 8 bit systems and doesn't provide the same level of generality, functionality and performance. However, it is much more simple, so depending on your requirements it might be a good choice.

Best regards, Sune Sorensen

Reply to
Sune S ø rensen

Manuel Albrecht wrote, in part:

My company, CMX Systems, Inc., offers a TCP/IP stack that also offers a Wireless Ethernet (802.11b) driver option. The stack supports over

20 different processor families, including the XC16x series.

Our url is

or you can contact me directly if you would like more information.

Best Regards,

JR Rodrigues

+1-904-880-1840 snipped-for-privacy@cmx.com
Reply to