embedded PC

(also posted to s.e.d.)

We're considering a new product, a spectroscopy controller, that would need a fair hunk of data-moving power and gigabit Ethernet capability to talk to a host system. We would center it on a largish FPGA that would run the actual physics, but we still need supervision, self-test, local maintanance capability (maybe just RS-232) and the Ethernet stuff. Possibilities include...

  1. Do everything in the FPGA. Possible but nasty.

  1. Use a cpu chip on the main board, next to the FPGA. Both powerQuicc and Blackfin chips have the horsepower and include the gbit PHY. Both run uC Linux.

  2. Use an embedded board-level PC,
3a PC/104+. Expensive. 3b Some small-form-factor "regular" pc motherboard. Cheap.

both 3's would probably use the PCI bus to talk to the FPGA.

Economically, and for speedy development, 3b sounds best. Has anybody done things like this with one of the tiny PC motherboards? Can you recommend a form-factor and a vendor? We'd need gbit Ethernet and a free PCI slot to interface to the process. We could maybe live with

100M Ethernet if we were confident that an upgrade would be available in a year or two.

The thing that scares me about using an embedded PC is that the product lifetimes tend to be short.

John

I've said it here other times: if you're building 100/year to build something and you can save $50000 engineering time buying instead of engineering, then $500/ea is a good price.

If you have the luxury of having application requirements that are not terrifically real time, if you have a big, square space for your boards, and if engineering time is a big part of the system end cost, then a PC- derived part is the way to go. If you have a long product life, then why not PC-104? If your volumes are low then an inexpensive motherboard could get very expensive the first time you have to swap it out (in a hurry because Purchasing didn't see it coming).

--
Tim Wescott
 Click to see the full signature

And $79 is a better price!

Do PC104 boards have long lifetimes? The CPU and support chips sure come and go fast.

At roughly $100 a pop, we could keep 100 or so motherboards in stock, so at least a discontinuance or change wouldn't sneak up on us unexpected.

PC104 has mechanical advantages; it would just plug onto our main application board. But they are expensive.

John

You should talk to the suppliers about EOL plans for the boards in question. My experience has been that these SBCs have very long lifetimes vis-a-vis COTS mobos; typically six to ten years vs 12-18 months max for a COTS board. One of the reasons SBCs are much more expensive than comparable COTS motherboards is because the mfrs will buy and hold stock of the critical components. (Or at least so the Advantech rep told me). Certainly boards I was buying five and six years ago are still available today.

I am 350% in agreement with Tim that this application sounds like a candidate for a PC architecture. It's not absolutely clear to me how the cost-benefit of a COTS mobo vs PC104 will break down for your specific application, though. However I would say that you'll be enduring mobo changes 3~5x more frequently with the COTS path. Whether these ongoing eng costs are worth it to you depends on how difficult it is to qualify a new mobo. My instinct would be to say "buy as much time between profitless sustaining-engineering efforts as possible". I'm sure your product is not something I'm going to see for $39.95 at Wal-Mart.

Reply to
larwe

BlackFin has MAC only (needs external PHY), and can run only 100M ethernet. As for uClinux, I stay away from it.

  1. Make a PC of your own with all of the necessary stuff on the board. I know some people who make the embedded PCs customised for the particular applications.

In the addition to the problems you mentioned, there could be the very unexpected hardware and driver issues when they change the revision of the mother board.

Vladimir Vassilevsky

There are of course many factors that go into any choice.

One argument for this application that might be in favor of uClinux however is the relative ease of porting the application to a new computing platform should that become necessary. Certainly when you use on-chip peripherals you invest in an architecture, but there's no external vendor-lock in that prevents you from writing new drivers to adapt to the peripherals of a different processor.

Leaving the low level drivers aside, you can of course achieve some of this flexibility be writing your application program in a way that is not platform or operating system dependent.

Reply to
cs_posting

I have no detailed suggestions, but am bidding on a similar project. Drop me a line and we can compare notes off-line. As things progress maybe we can present our final choices and why. (non-disclosure prevents me from saying more right now.) Ed

-- Magic Interface, Ltd.

440-498-3700 Hardware/Software Alchemy
Reply to
Ed Prochak

Not necessarily bad. Have you looked into using one of the embedded processors? The Altera Nios or Xilinx MicroBlaze "soft" cores can be programmed into general logic. Xilinx also has FPGA's with embedded "hard" PowerPC processors.

I've only used the Nios for a small project, but I found it easy and convenient to use (programmed using C code). The soft processors are like micrcontrollers. Great for easy stuff like self-test, etc. They also have a lot of optional peripherals that can be added on. I've also heard good things about the Xilinx PowerPC option from my coworkers if you need to do more serious processing.

Derek

Reply to
Derek Young

Short product lifetimes can be compensated for if you know how many units per year will be needed. That $50,000 in saved NRE could buy

500 low-end motherboards and CPUs that you could store until needed.

For what John Larkin is describing, if there is room a server motherboard might be a good choice -- they tend to stay in production a lot longer and usually have gibabit Ethernet.

$99.99 Asus MB, Intel Xeon CPU, Two 1000Mbps Ethernet ports:

$169.99 Asus MB, Intel Xeon CPU, Four 1000Mbps Ethernet ports:

$234.99 Intel MB, Intel Xeon/Core 2 CPU, Two 1000Mbps Ethernet ports:

$459.99 Intel MB, Dual Intel Xeon 2 CPU, Two 1000Mbps Ethernet ports:

If space is tight, the server boards are a bit large, so he might want to go with a Micro-ATX and store enough boards to meet his needs:

$49.99 Foxconn MB, Intel Core 2 Duo CPU, 1000Mbps Ethernet port, 9.6" x 8.0":

$69.99 Intel MB, Intel Core 2 Duo CPU, 1000Mbps Ethernet port, 9.6" x 9.6":

Guy Macon
Reply to
Guy Macon

I have found that they end to buy large quantities of the chips around the time they are discontinued, and thus are able to keep the same design in production for a long time.

--
misc.business.product-dev: a Usenet newsgroup
about the Business of Product Development.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Guy Macon

Have you considered Micro ATX?