embedded linux on PowerPC (440GP)

I am using an embedded Linux and in order to read the MAC address, I
need to have the I2C driver loaded before the network driver.

How do you change the order in which the drivers are loaded?

Below you can see the I2C driver core driver is loaded first then the
specific instance for each I2C adapter after eth0/eth1 are
initialized.

From the screen:

i2c-core.o: i2c core module
i2c-dev.o: i2c /dev entries driver module
i2c-core.o: driver i2c-dev dummy driver registered.
i2c-proc.o version 2.6.1 (20010825)
pty: 256 Unix98 ptys configured
Serial driver version 5.05c (2001-07-08) with MANY_PORTS SHARE_IRQ
SERIAL_PCI enabled
ttyS00 at 0xfdfeb200 (irq = 0) is a 16550A
ttyS01 at 0xfdfea300 (irq = 1) is a 16550A
eth0: Phy @ 0x7, type BCM5221 (0x004061e4)
Reset ethernet interfaces
eth1: Phy @ 0x17, type BCM5221 (0x004061e4)
Reset ethernet interfaces
IBM IIC driver
i2c-dev.o: Registered 'IBM IIC adapter' as minor 0
i2c-core.o: adapter IBM IIC adapter registered as adapter 0.
i2c-dev.o: Registered 'IBM IIC adapter' as minor 1
i2c-core.o: adapter IBM IIC adapter registered as adapter 1.

Thanks

Re: embedded linux on PowerPC (440GP)

Depends.  On a lot of things.  Like the Linux distribution you're
using, whether you're using kernel modules or not, and if so, which of
the drivers in question are modules and which aren't.  And on the way
these module loads are triggered: indirectly through the
module-autoloader and /etc/modules.conf, or explicitly by calling
modprobe from inside some boot/init script...

Re: embedded linux on PowerPC (440GP)
Renaud ,

Did you happen to do the setup for the SDRAM on your board?
I'd like to ask you about the DDR config if you did.

Regards,
james