Embedded kernel with C source?

Hi.

I'm looking for a 32-bit kernel with preemptive multitasking (realtime is not required). It should be simple & lightweight, and be written in hardware independant C (with full sourcecode). Considering that my project requires a TCP/IP stack, I would prefer a kernel for which such support modules have already been ported.

This is for replacing an 8-bit system to PowerPC. While I do want to port the applications, I can't keep the old kernel. It was a custom development with lots of ASM code. I'll have to either re-code the old kernel or choose an existing one.

I'm not really up-to-date about my options. I believe to recall that there was a book about a kernel with sourcecode, and a reader community actively supporting it. I heard of several commercial options too. I don't which ones are lightweight and come with source code.

And then there is Linux, but it has too big a memory footprint and will be difficult to tame. For example, my system requires a very special VMM. Since Linux comes with its own VMM, it will be hard to integrate my requirements with Linux' VMM dependancies.

In general I prefer something smaller than Linux, something that can be stripped to maybe 2K-16K plus my VMM plus the TCP/IP stack.

I'd really appreciate your input about this topic. What kernels do you suggest?

Kind regards, Marc

Reply to
jetmarc

If there are coders comfortable with the old design, why not recode it to the new platform.

Most of the kernel can be done in C (or other HLL), while at most 10 % needs to be done in assembly (mainly related to stack switching).

Paul

Reply to
Paul Keinanen

What was specific about your VMM? I know some ofthers have mentioned a few small footprint OS's but if your VMM is in anyway Forth-like you may find FICL would be a useful choice. What it does not have you could easily add as the whole thing is extensible, just like Forth. There are TCP/IP capabilities in Forth and you may find the Forth vendors useful to you in that respect.

Paul E. Bennett ....................
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Paul E. Bennett