Embedded Development Tools

There are a lot of leagues (as well as miles). The nautical league is defined as equal to 3 * nm, at least in Spain (were nobody uses it, excpet when reading that Verne's book).

I remember to have been playing with a Casio calculator and a conversion table when I was veeery young. I did a lot of operations, to see if there was any relationship between pi, e, the mass of the electron, the length of a nautical mile, etc. I was very surprised to see that 1851.85

  • 3 = 5555.555... I finally figured out that both the mile and the league were related to the mean circunference of the Earth (as well as the meter, of course). I also figured out that pi = 355/113 aprox., and other interesting stuff. Later on, I abandoned this kind of Cabbala and turned to engineering, but that's another story...
Reply to
Ignacio G.T.

note that, although the nautical mile is defined in terms of the circumference of the earth, there are three standards. British 6080 ft US 6080.20 ft International 6076.115 ft (1852 meters) Of course, the US uses International.

--
	mac the naïf
Reply to