DTMF as digital network keying

Hi all,

Just wondering this question : How come nobody uses DTMF as digital network's keying ?

I think rather than QPSK, which can only transmit 2-bits at once, the DTMF can transfer up to 4-bits and it's proven to be very effective over copper wires.

I think if it is used over RF network, we can improve the network's throughput. Does anyone has experience with this ?

-kunil

Reply to
kunil

It's very slow, that's all.

Reply to
Paul Burke

100 millisec per digit (4 bits). i.e. equivalent to 50 baud.
CBFalconer

DTMF signaling was used in the early RF trunked networks. It was very slow and unreliable.

Vladimir Vassilevsky

DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant

Vladimir Vassilevsky

How did you arrive at this number? I would guess that one wave time of the lowest allowable frequency would be enough.

http://www.opera.com/mail/
Reply to
Boudewijn Dijkstra

DTMF decoders are very slow (in order to provide noise immunity).

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  YOW!! I'm in a very
                                  at               clever and adorable INSANE

DTMF was designed to allow Ma Bell to build cheap phones that would transmit OK, and have mostly-accurate results. Time didn't matter much, because humans can't push buttons that fast.

It is, however, not the most bandwidth efficient method of data transmission.

For a really over-the-top multi-tone signaling protocol, and one that is in commercial use, check out OFDM (search for it on the web).

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

For the vast majority of engineering folks, it is lot easier to put 8880 on the board compared to implementation a basic PSK/FSK modem in the software.

You don't say that. It is a rocket science...

Vladimir Vassilevsky

DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant

Vladimir Vassilevsky

built the first digital decoder for it, which was designed to be integratable, and was described by me in an IEEE meeting. The tone must last 40 mS, and the rep rate must be under 10 per sec. The quiet period must be at least 40 mS. The major problem is false hits, and my system was very hard to fool.

CBFalconer

I get 40 baud, but close enough. ;)

IIRC, that's still the spec for currently available decoders like the Clare 8880.

40 baud allows you to transmit about 300 bytes per minute minus whatever overhead you build in for error detection/correction.
--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  An Italian is COMBING
                                  at               his hair in suburban DES

DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant

______________________________________

Very good info , thanks .....

Speed is syncing clocks on both ends . Very low cost today .

Run length limited and then huge decoding /decompression databases at both ends can up the speed .

Phone lines can then send 100 K baud or more ..

Reply to
werty

Cool..I didn't expect anybody has tried it before..I couldn't find any records in google about this.

Thanx

-daniel

Reply to
kunil

Meaningless without suitable context quotes. See the sig below.

-- If you want to post a followup via groups.google.com, ensure you quote enough for the article to make sense. Google is only a poor interface to usenet. There is no reason to assume your readers can, or ever will, see any previous articles. More details at: Also see

Reply to
CBFalconer