Disadvantages of MSP430 relative to AVR and PIC?

I *think* you are missing the fact that they hide it by copying the "constant" data to ram on startup. This is OK if you have plenty of RAM, or not much "constant" data. But not good for the cases I was talking about.

My experience is mainly with gcc a few years ago, but at the time I looked briefly at other compilers and they seemed to do the same sort of thing. You could work around the problem using PDATA pointers or PROGMEM macros etc but the resulting pointers were incompatible with normal ones. So you could not use e.g. a printf(s), you had to write a separate printf_P(s). And so on, you would need a memcpy_P(void* s, PROGMEM* p) etc, for every function wanting to access the constant data.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

So what else would you consider?

Reply to
Dombo
1:

IAR hids it. GCC dose not.

2:

Costs and power drains.

  1. > In quite many practical cases, the 5V I/O and supply are required.

AVR (M1) is capable of both 5V (A1) and 3V (A2). Single power rail M1A1 works great for us. However, we are splitting the power anyway. The main reason is to get the 3V LDO regulator in the BOM, so no surprise for the customer later on. The secondary reason is to cut power consumptions by half. Most importantly, double standby battery time.

The new microcontroller (M2) is 3V only. So, it will only work with A2.

Our migration path is: M1A1 -> M1A2 -> M1A1 -> M2A2

By the way, they are not weapons and not for military uses.

Reply to
linnix

AVR is too expensive? those Mega88's are cheap (

Reply to
steve

A battery backed MSP430 is another option (and use SRAM)

Reply to
steve

LCD AVR is $2 per 10K. We will settle for a 50 cents 6502 compatible. For 100K, it will not be much of an issue. But we are not buying 100K yet.

Reply to
linnix

There is a 50 cent LCD 6502 compatible? What is the part number?

Reply to
steve

IAR hides it best. GCC is a pain. You have special functions to access FLASH. (strcpy_p, etc...)

Reply to
RumpelStiltSkin

Why Not C8051F?

Reply to
Creative Instrument

pretty

of

but

M2 as in M2A2. A2 is a 3V sensor.

Reply to
linnix

MSP430

pretty

noise,

worst of

applications

MSP430

external

but

with

Actually, there are two versions:

M2-16K-12x4 (16K code, 12 segments and 4 commons) and M2-64K-20x8 (64K code, 20 segments and 8 commons)

But I just call them small M2 and big M2.

Reply to
linnix

and

had

MSP430

pretty

noise,

worst of

up

"tune"

capacitors

applications

MSP430

external

micros, but

with

?? can someone decode this for me

Reply to
steve

'F149 and

We had

write

they

MSP430

a pretty

noise,

worst of

out.

starting up

"tune"

capacitors

applications

MSP430

external

micros, but

especially with

productions.

Why, isn't it clear enough?

M2-16K-12x4 is a Microcontroller based on 6502 with 16K one time programmable code space and a LCD controller driving up to 12 segments and 4 commons.

Reply to
linnix

Sure: There exist a lot of 6502-core (or modified-6502-core, and

65C816-type-core) micros sold into various niche markets. If you don't already know about them, you probably don't have what it takes to buy them.
Reply to
larwe

Thank you. For a while, I thought I am in the wrong universe, where no one live outside of MSP, AVR and PIC.

"You think the only people who are people Are the people who look and think like you But if you walk the footsteps of a stranger You'll learn things you never knew you never knew"

-- Pocahontas --

Reply to
linnix

fair enough, didn't realize I would hit a nerve by asking

Reply to
steve

I've only heard of those 6502-based things because someone (you?) has previously discussed them on this newsgroup as being chinese-sourced, high-volume low-cost devices for toys. As far as I can tell (and perhaps as previous posts state) the web has virtually no info on them.

Reply to
Ben Bradley

I can assure you that they exists, and for less than 50 cents. We were competiting on another project with 25 cents budget for the uC. M2 turns out to be too expensive, but certainly cheap enough for our current project. For a $5 device, BOM must be less than $1. It took me several months to learn and lose (the project), but valuable experiences nonetheless.

Reply to
linnix

I'm with you. I'd love to get a couple of named sources for 10K quantities at well under a buck each. Please... :-)

Reply to
Mike Silva

What does it take to buy them, besides a few thousand dollars?

Reply to
Mike Silva