DIP package LED dot matrix displays

Maybe 10-15 years ago I remember seeing fairly small dot-matrix LED modules that were arranged to provide 4 characters per module in a DIP-like package. I'm thinking they'd be ideal for my latest project but can't find any reference to them now. Does anyone have any pointers?

Alternatively does anyone have any ideas for alternatives? I'm looking for 16 alphanumeric digits (could possibly get away with starburst or even 7-segment, but prefer dot matrix) no more than about 90mm width display area and a minimum of surrounding bezel. Must be light-emitting or backlit and no more than 10mm high above the board. Through hole mounting and +5V operation are desirable, but I can work around those requirements if need be.

--
Andrew Smallshaw
andrews@sdf.lonestar.org

Were made by HP, then Agilent, now Avago

but their website was broken whne I just tried it

HDSP-2113 is one part number from the range - there are many options of size/colour/number of characters and interface.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

Try Avago Technologies

- they have smart LED displays with a DIP footprint.

DJ Delorie

Thanks. I've had a look on thereir website and there are a few devices there that fit the bill.

--
Andrew Smallshaw
andrews@sdf.lonestar.org

This may be overkill, but have you seen the DLR1414 displays from Osram? They're 4 character but there are others of 8 or 10.

(or if my newsreader breaks that URL):

and look under "Intelligent Displays" - there are other alternatives listed too.

Regards, Mike

Reply to
Mike G

I've worked with these quite a bit -- the 4-char and 8-char intelligent displays. They work very nicely. The availability for sampling, though, has been a problem. Anyone with a good source for small hobbyist quantities of Osram's 4- and 8-character intelligent displays?

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

Are they any different from the Avago (ex HP) units? These are pretty easily available.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

available.

Yes, they are different.

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

Backlit LCD 16x1 85mmx35mm and

Reply to
Steve

Hi Jon,

I'm assuming that you're in the US, so DigiKey would probably be your best bet.

For anyone in the UK, they are available from:

RS -

Farnell -
Rapid -

Although the first two know how to charge.

Regards, Mike

Reply to
Mike G

No dice, last I looked.

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

A search for Osram on DigiKey throws up a few parts - DLR1414, DLR2416 etc but I don't know how competitive the prices are.

Good luck!

Reply to
Mike G

Thanks. I very much appreciate the suggestion. But, I'm looking for dot-addressable units (SCD88....) and the HDSP21xx units.

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan