LED moving message display - interfacing problems! RS232

I recently purchased some led message boards from auction and need some information on them ..... hopefully someone here can help?

The signs are made by "LEISURE UNLIMITED AUSTRALIA" - LUA Electronics, and are about 1.3 metres long - dot matrix single line RED display...30+ chars (cant tell exactly as the characters use less than one LED block each)

When the signs are powered up, they simply display a 6 digit serial number (same number as shown on the back of each unit - matches the units serial) and then they just sit there displaying that number - I assume, waiting for some valid commands. Leisure Unlimited Australia, LUA Electronics used to be here: LUA Electronics Pty Ltd. 11 Redwood Drv Notting Hill VIC 3168, but are shown as a de-registered company on the AISC site, and obviously, nobody answers the old phone number....yep - tried anyway!

I found some software I thought might control them here......

but so far, have had no luck!

I made up a serial port null modem cable after checking that the sign DB9 connector has only pins 2, 3 and 5 connected......but no joy.....tried a few different types of null modem cable too.

By taking a peek inside the software, the only settings I could see were

9600 baud, 8 bits, no parity and 1 stop bit......so these are the settings I have been using - although I have also tried others too with no luck.

The controller for the sign uses a TC232CPE level converter, an 8031 processor, one RAM chip (HY6264ALP-10) and a 27C64 EPROM. I don't have anything else much that i can tell you about it, so I am hoping that someone here has used them before, or might be able to help me interface to it.

Would dumping the contents of the EPROM help to nut this out?? Anyone likely to be able to make sense of it?

If any one has any software to use these or knows where i could get it from it would be much apreciated.

If anyone could even jusdt point me in the way of someone who used to work at this company that would be great too

Thanks in advance !

Reply to
princo coasters

Nobody here has played with RS232 or 8031's?????

Anyone using a LED message sign at work? What brand is it? How is it connected?

Reply to
princo coasters

I'm sure at least some of us have played with RS232 and/or 8031's, just not within the message board you outlined. And even if one hasn't, it really doesn't matter anyway.

The ones that I played with (a million years ago) were RS232-interfaced, (back when RS232 was trendy), but you used a dumb terminal to talk to it. Certain characters were used for control purposes, everything else (alphanumerics) were used for display.

This doesn't help you of course, not only because can I not remember the brand of the displays, no other brand might help either - simply because there are no communications standards for these things.

I've heard of AT style keyboard connected interfaces, USB, parallel printer port interfaced, you name it, I've "heard" of them all. All of them different with the way one programmed the text.

Regardless, unless someone doesn't have that model you have and knows how to drive it, nothing else will help.

I would be cynical of the usefulness of "looking under the bonnet" because if you want to disassemble the code, by the time you go through it, it may very well be cheaper to buy something off the shelf that has software and instructions all nicely laid out for you.

When purchasing things like these, you really have to do your homework first, otherwise you might be buying a vintage black box. Very nice, but black boxes don't really do anything exiting by themselves.

Keep looking, you might get lucky and hear from someone that has used them.

Otherwise, it might be useful to stick a protocol analyser in there and see if the boxes bounce any bytes back in response to your probing. It'll give you an idea of the speed at least. Failing all the above, some trial and error may be called for.

Good luck.

--
Linux Registered User # 302622
Reply to

As John mentioned, it's a lot of effort to try and reverse engineer something like that, and I wouldn't bother. Sounds like you've tried the basics, so I'd give at that point. What I *would* do however is to simply write new software for it from scratch, that should be quicker than trying to decode what the old one does. Either use the existing 8031 with a new ROM, or replace it with the micro of your choosing. Should use all discrete hardware, so that should be fairly easy to figure trace out and figure out how to drive the LED's.

With your own software you get the benefit of making it do exactly what you want, likely with more features than the original software contained.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

I have a suspicion that LUA morphed into Axent Global

Reply to
jason.xiros

not so sure about that Dave.

I did a moving message board (see Silicon Chip 1989, over 4 issues)

To assemble the text, make it move, calculate the next frame ahead, and have it move up, down, left or right, then add all the scroll left, right, up down, etc, etc.,

Then if you want animated 3 colour crocodiles, space vehicles, telephones, flowers, etc, etc, as I did, it may take about 18 months of your spare time. A part time labor of love.

If you just want to write "Happy Birthday" sure. That's how I started.

BTW Princo Coasters, I used an XT keyboard for data input. That's what was popular and convenient then. :-)

Sure, yours is RS-232, if you can't reverse engineer the comms code, scrap it, and buy a very cheap TW import.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
No More Damn Spam:   http://www.wizard-of-oz.com

Serial OLED uses standard micro-SD memory cards.
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/product.php?productid=16659

USB Flash Drive interface for existing products.
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/product.php?productid=16654
Reply to
Don McKenzie

18 months is a long time. Assembler? Was most of your high level functionality internal to the message board, or external to it like on a PC?

With a high level language compiler and possibly some pre-written code for the high level stuff (text-to-bitmap etc), it need only take a fraction of that time. If you offload the high level stuff to the PC then the actual LED message driving part of it becomes relatively easy.

The problem PrincoCoasters might have though is that he might have to do all that anyway. Even if he decodes the software and gets it to talk he might find that the message board is nothing more than a low level device which holds a bitmap image and scrolls it. i.e. it might not have any ASCII to bitmap decoding built in, so he won't be able to simply send it ASCII text and have it displayed. In that case a PC application would have to be written anyway.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

all z80 assembly Dave, and part time as I say. Mind you, I just kept writing it until I was happy and exhausted all possibilities. :-)

started off as a single colour display, (Silicon Chip articles) but I added alternate rows of red and green LEDs to produce orange as well, so it became a 3 colour device.

has the code.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
No More Damn Spam:   http://www.wizard-of-oz.com

Serial OLED uses standard micro-SD memory cards.
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/product.php?productid=16659

USB Flash Drive interface for existing products.
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/product.php?productid=16654
Reply to
Don McKenzie

You might be interested (or relieved) to know you don't hold the record for development time for a published project. I think that honor goes to Peter Baxter's 100MHz Logic Analyser in EA which took in the order of 5 years to develop, only to be narrowly beaten to publication by my 40MHz Logic Analyser project by a couple of months! (my one only took a few months to develop)

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Be aware that Z80 code differs widely from 8051 (8751, 8031) code. I used both, ever wrote even disassemblers.

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

I've never programmed a 8031 or any of its relatives, but after a quick consultation with Mr G, I would guess it is at location 003B (reference to SBUF, aka SFR 99 = Serial Data Buffer).

Could that be some 'command' decoding just beyond that?

Andy Wood snipped-for-privacy@trap.ozemail.com.au

Reply to
Andy Wood

"princo coasters" schreef in bericht news:46b2b9cc$0$18984$ snipped-for-privacy@news.optusnet.com.au...

As I said, you really need the datasheet of the 8051 (8031, 8751).

The first instruction jumps to address 0x800 where a lot of registers are initialised. Amongst them SCON (Serial Control) which is set to 0x70 so an

8-bit UART is defined. The Baudrate is variable which means it is defined by a timer and the X-tal frequency.

I checked neither the Baudrate nor interrupt setting but I found the serial interrupt service routine at address 0x23. It looks like the routine handles some other interrupt(s) as well but at address 0x2D it checks the receive interrupt flag (RI) explicitely. If set it jumps to 0x3B and picks the received byte from SBUF. From that line on you can find out what actions are taken depending on the contents of SBUF. A 0x1B (ESCAPE) for instance results in placing a 0 in r2. The routine goes up to 0xD2 but always exits via 0x3A (the reti instruction). No doubt the actions depend also on the contents of the registers which in turn may contain values set by earlier received bytes. I saw at least r0 through r5 used. But you can find out what characters have some meaning and which ones, if any, are discarded.

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter