Defendant wins breathalyzer source code

Sounds like the right approach to me.

As an aside, I see the 'top-edge' of Automotive uC is now something like

3.75MBytes of FLASH, and 200MHz with double precision floating point unit (FPU).

Has anyone seen stats on what each increment in MHz, MBytes and precision, really mean in final engine operation ?

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

Presumably if the court can order the breathalyzer company to reveal their source then they can also extract the data from the chip company. Certainly, it complicates the issue but the court can overcome these problems.

Reply to
Tom Lucas

Still, that doesn't mean you won't be judged guilty. You can prove a serious flaw and the judges still sides with the laws no matter what. Happened to me. I definitely wasn't speeding, the calibration data was wrong, the judge said I was guilty anyhow because the cop said so. I still don't understand how a heavy vehicle with a small 4-cyl engine can get to 85mph within 15secs or so but I guess he thought I had a rocket engine in there.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

... snip ...

Oh come on now. The court case is over. Now you can tell us how you souped it up to that degree. Did it run on gasoline or what? :-)

CBFalconer

Not souped up, and I'm over it since a long time ;-)

It was just to illustrate the point that you can have the best and clear-cut evidence and it still doesn't do you any good. No being able to furnish the proper cal certification should clearly lead to a dismissed case.

The damage in this case was only a small monetary "donation". But in cases where people who aren't guilty take plea bargains because they fear that even solid proof to the contrary will not spare them jail time it becomes sad.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Unfortunately, justice is not always just. The authorities have the advantage of it costing them nothing to charge you with something and it costing you much to fight the issue. It becomes cheaper to accede than to fight "the man".

Reply to
Everett M. Greene

At least you're not still bitter about it ;-)

Reply to
Tom Lucas

Of course. Nothing does. That's why the saying goes: "In court and on the open sea we're all in the hands of God".

Reply to
Hans-Bernhard Bröker

Not just there, always. And occasionally we are tested by having to swallow injustice.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

No, even judges make mistakes. He should clearly have dismissed the case but didn't. Oh well. Bitterness can set in though for someone who sits in the slammer and didn't do it.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Yes. With the unfortunate consequence that folks with the financial means to defend themselves can get better justice than those without such means.