Comp science student and Embedded

Hello everybody,

I am a computer science student and in the final year of my engineering.

I want to know whether people from comp science get good jobs in embedded systems or not

or

how can a comp science student get a job in embedded systems

Reply to
rishi

In message , rishi writes

Study electronics.

Embedded systems are 50% software, 50% hardware and 50% systems engineering

Also look at this. It is a NINE WEEK course for graduate CS Students who want to do embedded work. It gives you some idea of the sort of things you need to cover.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Chris H

... and study maths ;o)

--
Regards,
Richard.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
FreeRTOS.org

Depending on the embedded system, what happens is that you're using a microcontroller that has a lot of I/O hardware built in. You need to understand the external hardware and how the external hardware and the micro may interact.

For example, let's assume you have an analog input protected with a 50K resistor for ESD protection. You need to have a very rough idea of how a charge redistribution A/D converter works and why that might affect conversion accuracy.

The Lizard

Reply to
Jujitsu Lizard

Yes. They do. To tell you the fact, I work in an embedded system company (one of the top ones) and 80% of the people working in the embedded software group with me are comp. sci. graduates.

Well ... embedded systems is a term which encompasses large number of independant sub-domains. e.g. Analog design, Chip design, Firmware, Device driver, Kernel, System software and finally application. Again there can be multiple branches like networking, multimedia. So in short all of the things you will find in PC software development.

So, finally it all depends on your interest ... As mentioned in other posts yo do need some info about hardware .. but don't worry .. you need very basic info and that you can learn on your job.

Kaustubh

Reply to
ksashtekar

In message , FreeRTOS.org writes

Good point... much embedded work does require good maths.

BTW I forget who originally came up with the 50/50/050 quote but the point is there is a LOT more to embedded work that programming and most people involved need to know hardware and system design as much as software.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Chris H

In many places they have an electronics background not a SW background.

Though the only thing embedded systems have in common is that they are all different :-)

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Chris H

Apart from electrinics, the most relevant course I did was the Post Office handtool course. The course I most wish I had done is technical drawing.

Stephen

--
Stephen Pelc, stephenXXX@mpeforth.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Stephen Pelc

Don't forget a reasonable understanding of mathematics can be useful :)

Reply to
AC Me

Surely, they must have done all the maths they need before or during the CS course, otherwise how did they get though it?

Peter

Reply to
Peter Dickerson

...and there was I thinking I'd never agree with Chris. Darn!

Peter

Reply to
Peter Dickerson

I wish I had done that too, but I didn't have any inclination when young and to little time ever since.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Dickerson

Is a "post office" course what an American would call a "correspondence course" where course materials are mailed to the student who completes the work and mails it back to the school? That would seem to be a format distinctly ill-suited to a course on using hand-tools.

--
Grant
Reply to

In the UK, prior to privatization etc., way back in the sixties, "Post Office" = Telecom monopoly, IIRC. So, like an AT&T course is how I read it.

Here's a free reference on electronic workmanship:

Spehro Pefhany

In message , Peter Dickerson writes

You are confusing a CS course with a Sw Engineering or electronics course?

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Chris H

In message , Peter Dickerson writes

I started life as an NCB technical in their experimental establishment followed by RAF technical course.. Lots of very useful skills for embedded work

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Chris H

It is "Post Office" not "post office"

The GPO (General Post Office) did all the UK telephone systems as well as the mail. They were, along with Manchester Uni and Bletchy Park, the people who invented computers.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Chris H

No. Back in the dim and distant past I worked for the British Post Office as a "Scientific Assistant" at Dollis Hill. Later, the telephones part became British Telecom and the Dollis Hill site and research moved to Martlesham.

Part of my training was a two-week hand-tool course. The test piece was a soldered and brazed heaxagonal box whose lid had to fit all six ways round.

I've always regretted not being able to get on the machine tool course.

Stephen

--
Stephen Pelc, stephenXXX@mpeforth.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Stephen Pelc

And a good knowledge of the application area.

Amen, brother!

Even within a subtopic, the applications can widely different. If you're controlling a motor, a finesse vs. brute-force application is quite different.

Reply to
Everett M. Greene

There is one company I have come across. A consultancy. They take people with qualifications and experience in a domain and teach them SW engineering. It takes 12 moths. They say it is the best thing to do. Then the get disciplined SW engineers. In their experience going the other way does not work.

Hence the reason it is 50% HW 50% SW and 50% systems engineering (and of course 50% domain knowledge.:-)

Embedded Engineering is not something a CS course trains you for.