Codewarrior Compiler

Is codewarrior a good compiler to use for HC08 controllers. I have heard some negative things about it. Is there a better compiler to use. I am getting ready to start an HC08 project and need to choose a compiler.

Jim

Reply to
Jim

It's an excellent, professional environment and priced accordingly.

FWIW, though, I used the DSP56F805 version of Codewarrior for a small project and really hated the development environment. I'd almost prefer a root canal without anesthetics.

If this is for a personal/hobby project, Imagecraft has a nice C compiler for the HC08 that's in a more reasonable price range. I have their AVR and MSP430 compilers and am looking at the ARM, as well.

For some feedback on how others feel about the compiler, there is a mailing list (and archive) at

Rich Webb   Norfolk, VA
Reply to
Rich Webb

Hi, The CW compiler is very good, but I've found some bugs on Processor Expert... There is a free16Ko version.

ICC08 is good too, less expensive, but has just a compiler, no debug tool as CodeWarrior.

Yvan
http://www.ybdesign.fr
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Yvan BOURNE

But you can either use the free P&E debugger or pay $100 to get NoICE08. A pittance of change...

--
// richard
http://www.imagecraft.com

I've not used Metrowerks or the ICC that others have recommended, but I'm sure they are good tools.

I can tell you about Cosmic for the '08, which I've used for about 5 years. Code generation is excellent, only one strange bug (If I created a non-standard section and initialized the first object in that section to the string "NULL," the tool that converted debug info into P&E format would barf: changing the initialization string to "null" avoided the problem), and error reporting is lousy (It'll tell you something's wrong with the code, but half the time you're not sure where or what the problem is. PC-lint fixes that problem.)

It won't take you by the hand and write your code for you, or even make it particularly easy, but you are given almost complete control over the chip an its resources. All in all a worthwhile tool.

Regards,

-=Dave

--
Change is inevitable, progress is not.
Reply to

Why don't you download it and see for yourself? The 16 KB version (C source code - unlimited assembly code) doesn't cost anything...

Gary Schnabl