Choice of support forums

Agreed. Even non-corporate forums tend to have more effective policing, etc.

The UID/credential issue can be automated with many browsers. But, you

*do* need to remember to "go look at it". There is no way that "it" can tap you on the shoulder if something significant has transpired (e.g., auto manufacturers mail recall letters to owners instead of expecting those owners to periodically check a corporate web site!)

Waiting to get bitten by a problem (and *hoping* you can realize that you ARE encountering a problem) is not the way I like to do things! :> Do you hand-verify all of the computations that your spreadsheet performs? It might be handy to get NOTIFIED by someone who has already stumbled on this instead of retroactively LOOKING for such a report after you

*suspect* a problem ("Oh, yeah... that was reported 3 months ago!")

I've seen this also true of independent sites. You're at the mercy of the "entity" controlling the resource. I think it's a reflection of the "corporate maturity/confidence" in how they address public gripes. I.e., a disgruntled customer can gripe in any of several other ways (social media, mouth-to-mouth, blog, etc.). So, running from criticism is a Chicken Little approach, IMO.

Or, the *right* people reading (and responding)! E.g., a low traffic forum/list can be very effective if each question posted receives an ACCURATE reply -- no need for 20 messages if 1 will suffice.

One real issue is forcing folks to search archives and FAQs *before* posting. Answering the same question repeatedly (asked by different people) can jade an otherwise cooperative "forum member". I.e.,

*ding* the querant and reply with "read the FAQ" (etc.). This should serve notice that laziness will get no response and, ultimately, cost them their access to the resource!
Reply to
Don Y

Well it is hard to draw a line but I guess we have both. Obviously more of the kind "click here type in that" of course but sometimes we have had real problems, e.g. one of our units had to work with a sample changer - both had never seen each other prior to delivery. Simple as it is - pulse an output to "change sample", wait for "ready" then go ahead - I had to change the pulse duration so the changer would see it, mine was too short initially (I had made it 1mS or so by assumption, turned out it had to be a lot longer). Took me an hour or so, IIRC I made the pulse duration command line programmable.

Oh if the reasoning is inexplicable from a technical point of view it means they are just not telling you what they actually want, we have all been there already. I guess we all have fallen for that at one moment or another when we were younger...

That is a lot indeed, you can make a lemonade party for the neighbourhood I guess (if there is no such thing like a lemonade party then invent it :D ).

Dimiter

------------------------------------------------------ Dimiter Popoff, TGI

Dimiter_Popoff

8<

So, RTFM would have solved their problem?

OK. So, things that are "unique" to particular applications. Things you (as designer) may not have envisioned *when* you made the design. These are the sorts of things (I suspect) that other users would benefit from "overhearing". I.e., preemptively solve their problem before it results in a "support" call/email.

And, also plant ideas in their heads for other uses to which your device could be applied -- thereby increasing its perceived utility.

Yes. As I said, I expect they just want me back on the payroll so they have an "expert on hand" -- for *other* purposes. Had there been a *genuine* problem with my implementation (or, something that I had "overlooked" like the utility of automatically resampling JPEG attachments) then I would be far more receptive to their "complaint". But, this looks like a smokescreen.

Still, to be fair, I can reply with an "expert" recommendation of other alternatives that *they* can pursue -- if they think the mailing list is ineffective (for whatever "nonsensical?" reason)

I use a lot of lemon juice in my tea. I think I've already consumed more than a quart (~liter) -- a tablespoon (15ml) at a time -- of it in the few weeks since I juiced them!

Reply to
Don Y

Dave Jones' forum is very good and very active.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

You could always donate some of them to a food bank, before letting any go to waste. :)

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Citrus *never* goes to waste, here! :>

[Well, actually, we end up with way more limes -- about 400 count per crop -- than we can ever use. But, we bring those to the folks in the "Laundry" at a local hospital. The workers there apparently love them! Cut a wedge and let it sit *on* their teeth while they work. Apparently destroys their tooth enamel in the process...]

A friend gifted us a "Juicerator" many years ago:

(note the juicer attachment, below)

It makes (relatively) quick work of juicing the buggers. OTOH, when you have several trees and several gallons of juice for each tree, you can quickly grow weary of the process! Thankfully, each crop comes due at slightly different times. E.g., the Valencia's won't be ready to juice for another month or so...

There are some groups who will harvest (citrus) fruit that you'd otherwise leave on the tree. But, IME, if you aren't planning on harvesting the fruit, you probably haven't taken good care of it through the growing season, anyway.

E.g., our limes are bigger than store-bought *lemons*; lemons bigger than oranges; oranges bigger than grapefruit; etc. Neighbors, OTOH, have little *dinky* fruit... why bother growing it if you aren't going to grow it *well*?

Reply to
Don Y

I pay zero for the same amount of spam. ;)

(Remove the obvious prefix to reply privately.)
Gemaakt met Opera's e-mailprogramma: http://www.opera.com/mail/
Reply to
Boudewijn Dijkstra

IOW: Go big, or go home! :)

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Oh you are lucky we live at the other side of the globe, I would have insisted on a lemonade party were we somewhat closer :D .

Dimiter

Reply to
Dimiter_Popoff

I just finished installing my spiffy new waterproof 12-volt LED RatLamp (tm).

The critter had been skinning our Meyer lemons

and the light seems to keep them away.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Yikes! *Just* wants the skins/peels? I'd not have thought it possible to "peel" a Meyers! Ours (Modified/Improved Meyers) have skins that are so thin that it makes juicing them difficult (the skin provides very little barrier between your fingers and the juicer!). By contrast, the Lisbon had considerably thicker skins -- more like an orange (in thickness).

Reply to
Don Y

I've never made lemonade. Besides its use in tea, I use the lemons in some baked goods (juice and zest) and lemon sherbet. There are never "enough" on the tree to satisfy our needs over the course of a full year (we freeze the juice to preserve it beyond the immediate time when the fruit are harvested). Poor tree is confused, this year. I see a few score fruit have already started to develop (shouldn't happen until Spring -- so, they'll be "lost")

Equally disproportionate need for the oranges. We've planted different varieties (for different purposes) to ensure the crops come due at different times (though all are "winter fruit").

The *limes*, OTOH, are overly abundant -- easily 400 "lemon sized" fruit on a single tree -- and there's only so much you can use fresh lime, lime juice, etc. *for*!

Reply to
Don Y

Maybe they have a recipe that calls for lemon zest.

The location where some of those are hanging, the rat must have a ladder or a tiny helicopter to skin them so perfectly.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Key lime pie!

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Key limes are more tart/bitter. Ours are very sweet (for limes, that is). And, considerably larger -- most key limes that I've seen are the size of golf balls.

Reply to
Don Y

Avocado/Lime pie as well. Juice, avocado pulp, condensed milk, egg yolk, crumb crust.

Mel.

Reply to
Mel Wilson

I suspect climb.

Neighbor had someone trimming palm trees last year. (Always nerve-wracking to watch those guys "dangling" on such a flimsy "tree trunk".) After a few minutes of work, guy screamed and pushed himself away from the tree (his harness kept him from falling).

Turns out, he'd encountered a (live) *snake* some 40 feet up the tree...

Reply to
Don Y

It just seems silly to invest *any* effort (e.g., water!) in a fruit bearing tree if your intention isn't to enjoy the fruit (or, let others enjoy it if not you).

One neighbor routinely delivers a bag of lemons each year to each of his neighbors. "Gee, how thoughtful!" But, he has no interest in the tree so his fruit are really pretty *bad*. I.e., you're not doing anyone any favors giving them crappy fruit! :-/

Reply to
Don Y

SWMBO might like that. She primarily uses the limes to make fresh guacamole. Me? Not fond of avocado in any form! :-(

(lime sherbet is about the limit for my lime consumption -- and, a little of that goes a LONG way!)

Reply to
Don Y

But are you sure it is a rat? My jaw was hanging while I looked at your photo, I'd be pretty restless trying to take a shot of the creature at work in your place I suppose... All the better if the shot would then reveal Mousy on a quadcopter drone, preferably in a space suit :D.

Dimiter

Dimiter_Popoff