CAN bus wiring question.

I have a PCI computer card that has the following pinouts for CAN communications.

CAN_L CAN_H SHIELD V+ V-

Its a modicon type connector. I know what the CAN_L and CAN_H is for, however I have no clue where to hook the other three SHIELD, V+, V- to on my circuit.

I was told the V+, V- is for external power, but I disabled it through a jumper. However I am wondering if I have to tie it to something. If so what would it be? Any idea?

PS: The card is a National Instruments PCI-CAN card (from 1997)

Reply to
Stephen

Connect the SHIELD pin to the shield around the CAN_L/CAN_H twisted-pair.

Probably not.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Th' MIND is the Pizza
                                  at               Palace of th' SOUL

Don't know about the expensive National board, but assume it doesn't need the V+ and V-. These are optional power pins to power up the transceiver and opto couplers. Most Interfaces are powering these parts from the other side, from the PC logic. And your Shield pin guess what it is for - for shielding your twisted signale lines CAN_H and CAN_L. You should have a look at:

Regards Heinz

--

with best regards / mit freundlichen Grüßen

   Heinz-Jürgen Oertel
+===================================================================
| Heinz-Jürgen Oertel  port GmbH  http://www.port.de
| mailto:oe@port.de
| phone +49 345 77755-0     fax   +49 345 77755-20
| Regensburger Str. 7b,     D-06132 Halle/Saale,  Germany
| CAN Wiki    http://www.CAN-Wiki.info
| Newsletter: http://www.port.de/engl/company/content/abo_form.html+===================================================================
Reply to
H.-J.Oertel

The only use of the V+ and V- pins is to provide suitable voltages for the "fail safe" termination, i.e. pulling the lines to the recessive state, when no device is driving the bus to a dominant state.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Keinanen