C- Programming for ARM Microcontrollers

hi

Can someone point me to some C- Programming Tutorials for ARM7 Microcontrollers???

regards

Krish

Reply to
techie.embedded

My first book meets this description :)

Reply to
larwe

BTW, chalk up another sale. I ordered "So you wanna" from Amazon on Friday. Only GBP16.49 at the moment as well so I'm glad I didn't buy the one at ESS that they wanted 21 for.

Reply to
Tom Lucas

Hi

thanks for that.. but any online tutorials that u remember to have seen????

thanks

Krish

larwe wrote:

Reply to
techie.embedded

What is it you want to know? More about C programming, or more about ARM processors? Once you know the byte alignment, data sizes, interrupt structure, etc of the ARM then C is just C. The alignment, data sizes, etc are not that relevant to C and more ARM specific.

Regards, Richard.

    for Cortex-M3, ARM7, ARM9, HCS12, H8S, MSP430 Microblaze, Coldfire, AVR, x86, 8051, PIC24 & dsPIC
Reply to
FreeRTOS.org

Yay, my bank manager thanks you :) Please let me know what you think.

I'm having real trouble getting my next book project off the ground, mainly because people keep thrusting excruciatingly interesting projects my way. I remember sleeping, once; it was good.

Reply to
larwe

I will do.

It's getting that way for me too - I'm not sure when I'll find time to read the book! I used to have a slot on my train journey but my GP2X and Scrubs series 4 have that covered for a couple of weeks.

Reply to
Tom Lucas

That is about 30 USD or less, and quite attractive. So I checked the link Amazon, and they want about 60 USD for it. What goes on?

CBFalconer

I guess more guys in the US wanna be hardware engineers so there's no need to discount it. Also, people in the UK normally avoid American books unless there is no alternative so Amazon may have felt it needed to pull the price down due to the competition in this field from homegrown books.

Reply to
Tom Lucas

"Tom Lucas" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@iris.uk.clara.net...

I misspelt "embedded". oops

Reply to
Tom Lucas

Were you looking at the same book? My link above is to my _first_ book. Tom is talking about pricing on my _third_ book . Amazon (US) currently lists my third book at $39.95, at least when I look at the page.

The first book included a CD-ROM, and the third book doesn't; this accounts for some of the difference in recommended price. However Amazon is like an airline; prices seem to change almost daily, and I can't fathom how or why.

Reply to
larwe

ARM website is a good place to look:

Reach for "App Note 34: Writing Efficient C for ARM"

Vadim Barshaw

Reply to
Vadim Barshaw

hello members.

thanks for the last... The ARM Application Notes, i guess should serve my purpose.

Just another question. Does the syntax of code change when programming in a IAR enviorment to a Keil Environment????

thanks

krish Vadim Barshaw wrote:

Reply to
techie.embedded

If you are foolhardy enough to use compiler extensions, yes.

If you are disciplined enough to stick to standard C, no.

It is quite easy to isolate the portions that require non C defined solutions (interrupts etc...) and provide that in an easy to port fashion. It really helps here to have a static analyzer to keep you an the straight and narrow although some (most?) compilers will complain about their own extensions if placed in a strictly compliant mode.

Robert

Reply to
Robert Adsett

... snip ...

A C system that adheres to the ISO C standard as described in:

or n869.txt (same location) or earlier C standards generally known as C89, C90, C95. Surely you were aware of this.

CBFalconer

In article , " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" writes

is a web site (run by IAR) which as a LOT of link and resources from many places, not just IAR. It even has links to Keil!

It has a forum but as ever my view is use comp.arch.embedded.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Chris Hills

... snip ...

Yup. That will do adequately for 99% of the problems.

Which is why I said 'surely' above. However you seem to recommend abandoning all standards and portability. Somehow I don't think you are well received in the 'ISO C panel'.

--
 Some informative links:
Reply to

As will any compiler C with extensions.

Not at all. We need standards. However for the vast majority of embedded systems portability is NOT a requirement.

Your glib comment of using "standard C" is sadly meaningless in reality.

So now you know the mind of WG14 and or the NB panels...... I don't suppose you have ANY justification or support for your last statement?

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Chris Hills

[snip]

Something's wrong with the standardization process if things are changing "year to year". The whole idea of standardization is to provide a stable and well-defined basis for production of standard-conforming products, preferably over an extended period of time.

Are you referring to the hardware size(s) or the implicit sizes of int, char, et al?

It certainly is not pointless to test programming with a host having a different word size than the target. If the C compilers produce the same functionality for both the host and the target, it makes no difference where the testing is done (other than speed of execution). Using a simulator to perform testing is almost a last resort unless one wants to proceed at glacial speeds or has something that can't be tested any other way.

Reply to
Everett M. Greene