bootrom & coldfire - basic doubts

Hi, I am a newbie to coldfire version processor's & serial flash. I have fe basic doubts which I want to share. The micro I am using is MCF5251 which claims to have internal BootROM could be configured for external as well & Serial flash I am using is S M25P20, I have no other memory devices connected on the custom targe hardware. The micro is configured for Internal BootROM & serial flash i made SPI(MASTER)

1>What does Internal BootROM mean? 2>Is there any code already resident inside the micro 8K internal ROM? 3>If the 8K ROM is empty, how to dump my application/test code into th serial flash?

Pls somebody show me the light, I am feeling L.O.S.T. I have few othe doubts as well but these two are important for my initial basi understanding

Reply to
rennie606

Hi,

I am genuinely interested to learn how the use of 'doubt' in English as used in India came to be a substitute for 'question'? No disrespect intended. I see this frequently in newsgroup posts from India and have never seen an explanation that discusses etymology, culture, teaching or regional usage. To a native of the U.S., 'doubt' connotes suspicion, distrust or contesting a fact, 'question' connotes and inquiry of facts, which is what your post is about.

Do you ever say "I have a few basic questions which I want to share?" or is this usage uncommon?

Regards,

Michael

Reply to
msg

Hi,

I am genuinely interested to learn how the use of 'doubt' in English as used in India came to be a substitute for 'question'? No disrespect intended. I see this frequently in newsgroup posts from India and have never seen an explanation that discusses etymology, culture, teaching or regional usage. To a native of the U.S., 'doubt' connotes suspicion, distrust or contesting a fact, 'question' connotes an inquiry of facts, which is what your post is about.

Do you ever say "I have a few basic questions which I want to share?" or is this usage uncommon?

Regards,

Michael

Reply to
msg

ve few

The American Heritage Dictionary at

tml offers "3. A point about which one is uncertain or skeptical" as one definition for "doubt", but most dictionaries seem to emphasize the distrust aspect. You might find more at
.

Reply to
Wayne Farmer

Before coming to this news group, your first resource should have been the manufacturer's site,

, where typing in the part number "MCF5251" would immediately bring you to the online documentation you need. Page 4 of the Datasheet, and Section 1.5.31 of the Reference Manual, state that "The MCF5251 incorporates a ROM Bootloader, which enables booting from UART, I2C, SPI, or IDE devices." Sections 2.5 and 8.2.5 of the Reference Manual offer more detail, and Chapter 19 discusses the Boot ROM feature in detail.

Briefly, the answers to your questions 1, 2, and 3 would be:

A. The Boot ROM is a pre-programmed and non-volatile section of memory inside the MCF5251, which may be selected by external hardware jumpers to be run in various modes on power-up.

B. One of those modes allows an external computer to send a program over the UART lines to the MCF5251. The program in the Boot ROM will read the program from those lines and store it into the MCF5251's internal RAM. The external computer can then issue an "execute" command over the UART lines, instructing the MCF5251 where to begin executing the RAM program.

If your need is to program the external flash, the RAM program could be such a program that would continue to read data over the UART lines, while programming that data into the external flash.

The MCF5251EVBWR evaluation board could be helpful for you. Also, you should contact your local Freescale FAE (Field Applications Engineer) for assistance.

Reply to
Wayne Farmer

Hi Michael, Thanks for your reply & FYI I do not represent India while postin thread here :-). I came here to discuss my technical queries & not m grammar or diction. As long as my questions/doubts gets clarified I a happy & maybe ur suggestions related to grammar & diction would be of mor help to President of U.S to get rid of Bushism's. No Pun intended here. Thanks for your kind suggestions..

fe=

&

ST

is

the

Reply to
rennie606

Hi Michael, Thanks for your reply & FYI I do not represent India while postin thread here :-). I came here to discuss my technical queries & not m grammar or diction. As long as my questions/doubts gets clarified I a happy & maybe ur suggestions related to grammar & diction would be of mor help to President of U.S to get rid of Bushism's. No Pun intended here. Thanks for your kind suggestions..

fe=

&

ST

is

the

Reply to
rennie606

Michael was merely curious about the use of the word "doubt" - sometimes threads branch onto different topics. But while we are on the subject of language, note that while most people here will put up with bad spelling or grammar (not that yours is bad) from non-native speakers, your use of "ur" and "&" and other such SMS abbreviations will bug people. You might also learn to reply correctly in threads - a single post, replying to the correct post, is all that's needed.

Also remember that newsgroups are *not* a place to ask questions and expect answers - they are a place to discuss problems and issues, and spread knowledge and experience. So now that Wayne has given you some pointers, you should remember to post your results and how you solved your problem - that way, other people can learn from your experience.

mvh.,

David

Reply to
David Brown

"Doubt" does not, IMHO, have much connotation of suspicion or distrust in British English (unless you are doubting a person). "Doubt" implies you are unsure (the word stems from the same root as "double", suggesting a choice of two things). So if you have a problem with one or more potential solutions that you are unsure about, it's a "doubt". If you have no idea of the solution, it is not a "doubt". After Wayne's pointers, the OP's questions have hopefully morphed into doubts, so that he can make some progress.

Reply to
David Brown

In message , rennie606 writes

Americans tend have trouble with anything that is not their norm and assume it is wrong whilst using many of their own idioms and are surprised when people don't understand them.

However he is right. Try

and google FIRST. (Google understands Indian English :-)

:-) Well said.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Chris H

In English (as opposed to American) doubt is uncertainty. Though like a hikue the first and last lines of the OP's message don't seem to fit together well.

That said (as Noell Coward oft said many years ago) The Americans haven't used English for years. :-)

Yes Indian English is Different to American English but then again American English is different to Australian, Indian, British and African English....

Also for many English is not their first language and the grammar may be completely different to English so with their phrasing of questions in English. However this is a discussion for a different NG.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Chris H

Of course you haven't mentioned Canadians. That is the only true source of accurate English remaining in the world, Eh. :-) We are continuing the ancient tradition of assimilating French words, not to mention various French/English dissonances. For roughly the past 100 years Canada has existed to supply people to dig the Mericans out of their troubles. If you doubt my accuracy here, just ask any Canadian. All others are biased, except possibly New Zealanders. :-)

I have never had any difficulties with the 'Indianized' use of 'doubt'. As far as I am aware such difficulties have only arisen in a few newsgroups withing the past 5 or so years.

 [page]:
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
CBFalconer

ve

Hi, While you did not intend to say you are suspecting,better explaining to the group here that you are asking a question in their perse might help better then getting nervous.For others,In India its quite common to say the word doubt for any questions,how ever the context is that "you are unsure of".Unless you say you doubt with ref to a person,all other contexts generally mean "unsure". When I been to US,I was informed by my colleagues to use "question" instead of "doubt".I believe theres nothing wrong in changing the words as long as it gets to the target audience.That way we will get benefitted.

Regards, s.subbarayan

Reply to
ssubbarayan

The use of "doubt" to mean "unsure" is consistent with the British usage

- I think Americans are just so paranoid that they needed another word for "suspicion" and "distrust" :-)

However, you can only have a "doubt" if you have an answer that you are unsure of - if you don't know where do start, you have only a "question". It's a little like my eldest son - if he answers a question "I'm not *entirely* 100% sure...", it means he hasn't a clue!

Reply to
David Brown

Don't worry everyone else understood.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Chris H

Thanks for your reply and the helpful explanation. A country's or region's specific usage of language is often unknown to those of us far distant from it. My curiosity is not yet sated; I will look for references to idiom and custom on the web regarding English in India and whether variations in usage represent subcultures, such as is seen in the U.S. in the use of words like 'axe' for 'ask' and 'learn' for 'teach'.

Regards,

Michael

Reply to
msg

Indeed. Tell that to certain American subcultures of black-African ancestry that use the term. Reference "I speak jive" from the motion picture "Airplane"

Michael

Reply to
msg

If anyone uses "axe" instead of "ask", then it's just a silly spelling mistake. Mixing up "learn" and "teach" is not uncommon - many languages use the same word for both purposes, so it's an easy mistake to make.

Reply to
David Brown

... snip ...

Ah yes. Back when I was in school whenever I had a doubt I used to axe my learners about it. :-)

 [page]: