TimeSys Linux or linux4sam buildroot for AT91SAM9260

Hello,

I want to run Linux on the AT91SAM9260-EK.

I see that Atmel and TimeSys recently announced a partnership to provide a free Linux board support package for the AT91SAM9260.

I also see that a Linux buildroot, apparently provided by Ulf, is available for the AT91SAM9260 at the new web site

(perhaps a Linux distro sponsored by Atmel itself?)

Which should I use? The free TimeSys distribution or the linux4sam buildroot?

I would lean towards linux4sam if it has a future.

Thanks.

Jim

Reply to
jimthomasembedded

skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@p69g2000hsa.googlegroups.com...

The stuff at linux4sam is available as is, and will not get any further development, since all my efforts are focused on the main trunk at buildroot.uclibc.org.

There is a third option available at linux4sam, which is the OpenEmbedded.

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson

meddelandetnews: snipped-for-privacy@p69g2000hsa.googlegroups.com...

Ulf,

I tried buildroot for the AT91SAM9260 from uclibc.org, and it works great (the toolchain and RFS build succeeds -- I don't have my dev board here so I haven't tried to execute it yet, but a successful build is very encouraging.

Do you think buildroot for the AT91SAM9260 at uclibc.org will be maintained in the future and is suitable for use in a production product? Or is this just another unofficial buildroot like the one at linux4sam.org?

Thanks.

Jim

Reply to
jimthomasembedded

I have done both the buildroot at linux4sam.org and the AT91SAM9260 support at buildroot.uclibc.org. The stuff at linux4sam was done before I got write access to the main trunk. I will not update the linux4sam script, all new work will go into main trunk.

buildroot.uclibg.org is a quite active project and it updated quite frequently. The AT91SAM9260 specific stuff is related to:

1) AT91 bootstrap. 2) U-Boot 3) Linux kernel.

I think that if you use a dataflash, then there is no reason to modify the bootstrap or u-boot. If you use another memory, then you can build these separately anyway.

The rootfs is generic, so there will be plenty of updates. For the linux kernel, there are hooks allowing you to use basically any kernel and any patchlevel, with the capability of adding patches of your own, so I see no major showstopper.

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson