board architecture

I am trying to design a board including these features :

- 2 Fast Ethernet ports

- 2 Giga Ethernet ports

- 1 serial port

- PowerQuiCC 8260 as main cpu

- alim included

- Compact PCI or PCI bus

Performances are not critical

I am a newbie to electronics

Can somebody provide help?

Thanks

Reply to
Amadou TOUNKARA

If you are a newbie to electronics then you should not be doing this.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Bell

When i say newbie this does not mean that i don't know nothing about it I've already realized fpga based boards and some stuff related to HF emission/reception, logic analyser, PIC, ... etc.

But for this kind of board i think that it's more complicated

"Ian Bell" a écrit dans le message news: 3fb55ec5 snipped-for-privacy@mk-nntp-1.news.uk.world>

Reply to
Amadou TOUNKARA

This is probably not sufficient experience for the level of complexity you will see with a MPC82xx system.

Right. Well, you can reduce the complexity a lot when you decide not to design the complete system. For example, instead of designing and manufacturing all the complicated and sensible parts (MPC82xx, clocks, power, memory, ...) you could probably use a module which is already includes all the critical stuff and where you know it's working. In this case all you need to do is to design and build a custom carrier board for the module.

For an example, please check

==> Hardware

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88   Web: www.denx.de
Were there fewer fools, knaves would starve.              - Anonymous
Reply to
Wolfgang Denk

[...]

I strongly suspect you have a contradiction of goals here. You cannot seriously be needing 2 Gigabit Ethernet ports, yet not be performance-critical. If performance is not critical, you don't need gigabit ethernet. And definitely not two of such, plus another two

100 MBit ports.

To put this into perspective, consider that a single gigabit Ethernet port already has slightly more bandwidth than a normal (32-bit, 33MHz) PCI bus shares among all connected devices.

Even a rather modern desktop PC isn't capable of saturating a single Gigabit link, let alone two of them. This is independent of the CPU you invest. The only way to do it is to have a _very_ recent motherboard that has the gigabit MAC connected directly to the northbridge rather than to some PCI port, or a server mainboard that supports higher-bandwidth PCI busses (64-bit, 66MHz), or offers other methods of connecting network hardware.

Hans-Bernhard Broeker

I strongly suspect a troll here. Next time, we'll see a "newbie in nuclear physics" willing to build a nuclear power plant.

Maybe I'm just too paranoid. Who knows.

Reply to
Guillaume