Board to board interconnection

Hi,

I am looking for a cost effective and simple solution to interconnect two stacked PCBs.

The PCBs are placed on top of each other with a fixed gap of 21mm. The gap cannot be reduced as it is a fixed parameter given by the enclosure. Both PCB have component side face up.

The signal count is 2 x 20 signals TTL/CMOS logic level (address/data bus, I/O ports, I2C and SPI)

Possible solutions coming to my mind are flat ribbon cable with IDC connectors. But this is expensive as it would need to be custom made, requires additional assembly steps and crimping is error prone.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Ricky

Reply to
H. M.

Samtec, AMP, Molex and others make a range of board stacking connectors designed specifically for this sort of application. Note that they specifically accomodate pins going through a board for a 'top mounted' connector with pins coming up from the bottom on some lines.

Check out their offerings. 21mm is not a 'standard' stack height, but they may have something.

If not, then I would use IDC connectors (0.050" pitch) to connect up the two boards. That would require a standard connector on each board and a standard (40 way) IDC ribbon cable between the two.

FFC can be a beast to deal with and I use it, but only in those areas I have no space for other solutions (or where that's the interface already).

Cheers

PeteS

Reply to
PeteS

It may be overkill for just 2 boards, but the tidy way is a backplane with card-edge sockets. The rear of the backplane can have screw connectors for external connections.

I like having all my circuitry on boards that just 'unplug' for ease of diagnosis, repair, and replacement.

Luhan

Reply to
Luhan

You didn't say whether or not you need to be able to quickly separate them, so why not just put identical pad patterns on both boards and run hardwires between the boards?

You also didn't say whether you were planning on two boards or two million boards. The techniques are a lot different.

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering (jw)

you can get long dual row .1" spacing header pins solder to one board and mating socket on the other board.

Colin =^.^=

Reply to
colin

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

They have to be mated once only one during assembly and potentially for repair later.

Qty are 100-200 units.

Ricky

Reply to
H. M.

In which case I would suggest a through-board stack pair.

Samtec makes a nice range (See Graham's link above)

Cheers

PeteS

Reply to
PeteS

You could use a short flat cable without the connectors - just solder it in!

Like these:

PS:

Flexible pcb's is just the thing for those pesky mil-std round connectors, BTW!!

Reply to
Frithiof Andreas Jensen