Bluetooth module - low volume, good sdk and readily available docs ?

Hi,

I'm looking for a Bluetooth module for a low-volume product which needs bas ically a replacement for a serial protocol and for which the complete docs are readily available and which has enough of an sdk (again readily availab le) to get started in a bare metal system.

My last experience of BT was that suppliers keep their cards very close to their chests as far as docs etc are concerned, anyone know of any exception sd to this rule ?

Thanks,

Mike

Reply to
mikedavies621

Maybe I'm not understanding. How do you expect the BT module to connect to your system? I am thinking it would be through a serial port? If so, how much info do you need? These things are a dime a dozen... well, $6 anyway. What am I not getting?

--

Rick
Reply to

Hi Rick,

Yes, I am looking for a serially connected BT module. I know there are man y around but I am looking for one where the complete documentation is readi ly available without having to sweet talk a disty or mfr and which is readi ly available in small quantities.

Any ideas ?

Thanks,

Mike

Reply to
mikedavies621

I haven't looked really as I have not needed one professionally. Try checking with the distis, Avnet, Arrow, Digikey, Mouser.... Anything they offer will have documentation.

But with the modules sold on eBay, etc, they are just a chip on a board. Look up the data sheet for the chip and you have the docs for the board. You can always buy one and look at it to see how they are connecting it and what they use for PSU, etc.

--

Rick
Reply to

many around but I am looking for one where the complete documentation is r eadily available without having to sweet talk a disty or mfr and which is r eadily available in small quantities.

A friend of mine uses some for an ECU, the hardware one the different modul es are pretty much all identical based on a CSR chipset with varying quality o f the software, probably all based on some CSR app-note.

I think he eventually ended with some from a small English company that I c an't remember the name of. I don't know if they made the modules or just th e software

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

Hi Mike - I used successfully BlueRadios BR-LE4. Stay away from Amp'd Up BT43 and cousins (buggy). Presumably you're expecting to use SPP (serial profile). Don't know what you mean by "SDK" ? Beware these things comingle status and control on the single serial connection, including exciting stuff like sending you status messages in the middle of data, and without unique prefixes or escape sequences for such stuff. Nonetheless, workable (if rather annoying). Hope that helps! Best Regards, Dave

Reply to
Dave Nadler

Have a look at Nordic Semiconductor chips, in particular the NRF51822 device. There are various development boards available. The hardware can be use for Bluetooth and ANT protocols and the protocol stack for both is available. So far I am very impressed - it makes implementing a Bluetooth product very simple.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Smith