uC and LCD (or uC and LCD controller) interfacing

Can anyone give me any application notes/links which will help me to understand the uC and LCD (or uC and LCD controller) interfacing ?

Reply to
Ajab

search Projects with LCD keyword.

ali

Reply to
Ali

Have you done web searches?

An LCD segment turns dark (or light) when you apply voltage, and will get stuck that way if the voltage stays on. So an LCD controller applies a square wave to the segments you want to turn on -- that's a big part of the reason you need a controller instead of just logic and some resistors.

Generally you only connect a micro directly to an LCD if the micro has an LCD controller built in.

An LCD controller usually has an interface that makes it look like memory. You write the correct commands and data to it, and it does what you want.

--
Tim Wescott
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Tim Wescott

If you are thinking about a text only LCD I have done an interface to the MicroBlaze uC. Find out more from my blog:

(Part 31-36)

Sven

Reply to
svenand

Actually, you can do it with logics and DC/DC converters. I am driving an LCD panel by toggling port pins only, but it's using up all the micro processing power. So, in theory, you can build an LCD controller with standard CPLD, FPGA or ASIC. For high volume, ASIC w/ dumb uC might be cheaper than LCD uC.

Reply to
linnix

Text LCDs have an HD44780 control chip. These are easy to interface, but text is all they can display.

"Dumb" ECM-A0526 640x480 graphic LCD driven by a 48 MHz PIC (and apparently nothing else!):

"Dumb" ECM-A0526 640x480 graphic LCD driven by a PIC, some dynamic ram (DRAM), and a few other chips:

ATmega8 microprocessor driving a semi-intelligent (KS0108 controller chip) PVG120602EGE 128x64 graphic LCD:

AVR CPU driving an intelligent (SED1330 controller chip) graphic LCD:

Lots of LCD code for PIC microprocessors:

Atmega 16 CPU, T6963C intelligent controller:

Chris Giese

perhaps a complete solution may suit you:

Don...

-- Don McKenzie

Site Map:

E-Mail Contact Page:
No More Damn Spam:

Serial OLED uses standard micro-SD memory cards.

USB Flash Drive interface for existing products.

Don McKenzie

There are dedicated LCD controllers out there, both big and little. I'm currently using a small graphics LCD panel; the only data sheet I refer to is the one for the driver. That ought to be even cheaper than an ASIC for all but the highest of volumes.

--
Tim Wescott
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Tim Wescott