ARM development kits

Hi,

I would like to know which ARM development kits is the best compiler ?

(1) Keil's ARM development environment (2) ARM' s RealView (or ADS) (3) IAR

Some company web has a benchmark to compare its product to others, tha really confuse you. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
nileiqi

This is intentional.

The answer to your question depends on what you require from the compiler.

Reply to
larwe

GCC !

"nileiqi" a écrit dans le message de news: DrKdnQEbwu5GgEfenZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com...

Reply to
Robert Lacoste

"nileiqi" a écrit dans le message de news: DrKdnQEbwu5GgEfenZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com...

By the way I guess that (1) and (2) are very probably goind to be the same as ARM has bought Keil in September last year...

A good GCC based low cost alternative is Crossworks for ARM (from Rowley), I've now used it on three project with good results.

Friendly,

--
Robert Lacoste
ALCIOM - The mixed signal experts

I have used all three, plus Rowley CrossWorks and command line GCC. As you would expect there are pro's and con's to all.

I would suggest making a list of what you want the compiler to do and cost, THEN obtain demo's of all the options to see which suits you best.

As far as benchmarks go - are you interested in size or speed? Or are neither of importance if your processor is large enough? The presented benchmarks tend to contradict each other. The most important thing to you might actually be 'how reliable is the compiler', and benchmarks don't tell you that!

Regards, Richard.

Richard

I would second that. I'm in the process of porting three projects from IAR to Crossworks

For my initial tests I could not see any significant difference in preformance between the GCC and IAR compilers. The GCC tend to generate slightly bigger code though (5-10% bigger) but in my application that's not a factor.

Rowley offers a 30-day trial. Try it. If nothing else, the IDE is a LOT better then IAR's - and much less buggy!

Reply to
Anders

you

Any experience with ImageCraft?

Meindert

Reply to
Meindert Sprang

No, can't help there.

Regards, Richard.

Richard

If you are interested in trying the GCC compiler, you can check out the precompiled binaries available at

You will also find a lot of documentation.

BTW, this site is paid for by the ads, so if you see something you are interested in, please click them. The site uses a *lot* of bandwidth and the revenue is needed to keep it going.

Anders wrote:

Reply to
rickman

Hi,

I try to find out which ARM (compiler) development kit is more popular ? There are quite a few choice available. Please make comments. Thanks.

Daniel

Reply to
Daniel

In article , nileiqi writes

The Keil compiler no longer exists. So 1 and 2 are the same.

The benchmarks are:-

Keil

though these have come in for some argument. I would expect that the current Keil compiler is the same as the ARM-ADS one shown.

IAR

These benchmarks were before Keil == ARM.

There is the

which has a set of benchmarks for "their" compiler which is a Gcc compiler.

As an interesting note I understand that the Greenhills licence forbids the running, or at least the publishing of any benchmarks.

The point about all these is they all show that the compiler they are selling is the better one..... Which would suggest that all benchmarks are meaningless.

On the other hand when it comes to dev kits. Atmel, IAR, Philips and ST all produce kits. They are all reasonable. IT depends on what peripheral set you want.

/\/\/ chris@phaedsys.org      www.phaedsys.org \/\/\
Chris Hills

You might want to check out the GCC compiler. You will find precompiled binaries available at

You will also find a lot of documentation.

BTW, this site is paid for by the ads, so if you see something you are interested in, please click them. The site uses a *lot* of bandwidth and the revenue is needed to keep it going.

Reply to
rickman

Opps, I see I already replied about gnuarm. Sorry...

Reply to
rickman