Application processor with fast parallel I/O

Thanks. I think you struck lucky there - many SoCs don't have such an interface, or at least it's behind a NAND controller which adds some 'cleverness' you might not want.

I noticed that, and I also found the iMX6 which has a 32 bit external memory interface at 104MHz. The trouble is most SOMs either don't or partially pin that out (too many parallel pins) which tends to mean 8 or 16 bits at 104MHz

- so maybe 200MB/s is the best I'm likely to get.

(Though it seems the bandwidth somebody measured on iMX6 is substantially worse)

Burst is fine, but dealing with the DDR DRAM PHY and unpicking what the DDR memory controller did to you isn't nice. The AM3358 NOR flash burst (being SDR) looks a bit more sane.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

DDR data rate is sort of misleading. The data are clocked in/out at this rate allright, but the processors I have seen do one cacheline at a time (32 bytes) and add to that quite a number of initiation cycles. Perhaps the largest ones do take advantage of open pages etc. but the smaller one are unlikely to do it - which in practice yields around half the clocked data rate.

Dimiter

Reply to
Dimiter_Popoff

Well if you can retreat somewhat on the "hundreds of MB/s" the MPC5200B can be quite useful (and I could probably offer more help about it than the manufacturer meanwhile :). It can do 2 cycles per 32 bit at 66 MHz (132 MB/s) on a generic bus, and it can do 66 MHz PCI (32 bit). However, while 66 MHz PCI is 1 longword per clock, it will burst only a cacheline at a time (32 bytes, 8 beats). Not sure how many burst initiation cycles this was taking.

Dimiter

------------------------------------------------------ Dimiter Popoff, TGI

Dimiter_Popoff

Thanks, that's /very/ interesting. That makes life an awful lot simpler. I'm less familiar with the Zynq than with the Altera SoC FPGAs, but I'll have a dig.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

The one that I used, a long time ago, had a hugely programmable SDRAM interface. I can't remember the chip, but it was a Motorola with a PowerPC, which should date it. That SDRAM interface could have been programmed to make life easy on the FPGA, I think.

But -- I can't talk to this TI part; I just skimmed the data sheet.

--
Tim Wescott
I'm looking for work!  See my website if you're interested

Could it have been the 8240 or 8241 (same pinout, same part really, newer version). I have used it - it has a 64 bit wide SDRAM interface and it is hugely programmable, but it does burst one cacheline at a time all right, which is the speed killer I was talking about. I am not sure if one could stop the refresh completely, its period and other related stuff are programmable of course but I don't remember (may be never looked for it).

Dimiter

Dimiter_Popoff

picoZed also has Vcco for two banks on the connector also. For the Z7030 picoZed these are banks 34 and 35.

Reply to
Paul Urbanus

Thanks. I've now found a few Altera SOMs that also expose the Vccio pins, which makes life a lot easier. Can't remember which offhand, but Altera provide a handy list of all of them:

Thanks for the other discussion in this thread. It helped me refine that what I wanted was an SOM - which may expose Vccio - rather than a dev board which typically don't. As it turns out the SOM form factor is also more amenable to my application. Being able to stick to the SoC FPGAs solves a lot of problems and means not having to pretend to be a random memory interface just to get data in and out.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos