AMD buys National's Geode unit

What do you make of it?

Reply to
Jim Stewart

My boss just said "so next year, we'll be looking for a new processor because AMD will end-of-life the Geode."

--
Alex Pavloff - remove BLAH to email
Software Engineer, Eason Technology

I wasn't going to say anything, but that was my first thought too.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

National has been trying to get out of the PC processor biz for the last few years. The Geode was to be a niche market (if I recall correctly), but I guess it was a looser. Its a very competive market, National made the right move.

Martin Riddle

years.

a looser.

Right move for their shareholder, perhaps. We'll just have to wait and see what happens to us Geode users.

--
Alex Pavloff - remove BLAH to email
Software Engineer, ESA Technology

AMD are unlikely to kill ALL Geode variants, soon after they buy

- but they may prune the 'low volume' variants ( ie hope your Geode is not in that pigenhole )

A couple of years out, you might find FAB issues kick in. Which FAB line the die goes down becomes pretty important.

Anyone know where the Geodes are FAB'd ?

Examples : AMD pulled a FAB line on Lattice, and Philips pulled one on Xilinx.

Reply to
Jim Granville