AMD buys National's Geode unit

http://www.itworld.com/Tech/2428/030806amdbuy /

What do you make of it?

Re: AMD buys National's Geode unit

My boss just said "so next year, we'll be looking for a new processor
because AMD will end-of-life the Geode."
--
Alex Pavloff - remove BLAH to email
Software Engineer, Eason Technology

Re: AMD buys National's Geode unit

I wasn't going to say anything, but that was my first thought too.

Re: AMD buys National's Geode unit

 AMD are unlikely to kill ALL Geode variants, soon after they buy
- but they may prune the 'low volume' variants
 ( ie hope your Geode is not in that pigenhole )

 A couple of years out, you might find FAB issues kick in.
Which FAB line the die goes down becomes pretty important.

Anyone know where the Geodes are FAB'd ?

Examples : AMD pulled a FAB line on Lattice, and Philips pulled
one on Xilinx.

Re: AMD buys National's Geode unit
National has been trying to get out of the PC processor biz for the last few
years.
The Geode was to be a niche market (if I recall correctly), but I guess it was a
looser.
Its a very competive market, National made the right move.

Cheers

Re: AMD buys National's Geode unit
On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 22:22:17 GMT, "Martin Riddle"

years.
a looser.

Right move for their shareholder, perhaps.  We'll just have to wait
and see what happens to us Geode users.
--
Alex Pavloff - remove BLAH to email
Software Engineer, ESA Technology