Affordable PCB Layout Software ???

That's very nice artwork Dimiter. If it's your own graphics editor, how do you get PCB fabrication information out of it? (Gerber files, or photoplots, etc.)

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

Nothing that I'm aware of, except perhaps Sprint-Layout has a wonderful, sensible menu system that makes it super easy to use. I loathe wasted multi-level clicks, mode-changes, etc. I chose Sprint-Layout as being small, fast, inexpensive, yet professionally supported. Small, nimble software that really works is a joy to use.

FreePCB looks cool and has lots of extra features. That's enticing, but not always good--I downloaded it for a look when I've got the time to learn it--but I'm likely to keep using Sprint-Layout for the time being. It works, gets the job done, and it's actually fun.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

Thanks, the PCB photos are indeed artworked over a DPS screenshot - I did it just for ad purposes (my idea for that, that is :-).

The graphics editor has Gerber, hpgl, Excellon and some other (long dead) output formats. I remember reverse engineering the Excellon format by looking at piece of punched tape back then (the fact that is is so simple did help a lot, of course). It used to run on a 6809 based system - during the 80-s, the PC based PCB stuff was just unusable compared to it. Now the emulated incarnation is about 20 times faster (than the 2 x 2MHz 6809 it used to run on) and is still quite good for my layouts, it waits for me, I don't have to wait for it at all really.

Didi