Affordable PCB Layout Software ???

Well, no web browsers at least. We had GUIs but they weren't as sophisticated as now, and many of my applications were graphics based

- the machine came with a 640x480 graphics card by default. It wasn't until the IBM PC was released two years later that crappy graphics became the norm.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

Unfortunately, with proper user rights it can also be pretty hard to _use_ a Windows isntallation - so many apps need to be installed by an Administrator (not just a Power User), and some even need to be _run_ thus. So [almost] everybody does.

Back to the Subject - has anybody here used BRL-CAD[0] in anger? (It's "just" a CSG modelling tool with Tcl and a raytracing engine, so its best application is in the physical-layout arena, but I can see how it could be bent to PCB layout with some little effort.)

mlp [0] it's free, and runs on multiple platforms

Reply to
Mark L Pappin

What i am seeing recently is a bunch of MSOS users trying to turn into Linux administrators and poaching the pooch.

Reply to
JosephKK

The *idea* of a registry seems to be OK, but in WinDoze, it is a veritable garbage can. I think that each program should have its own *findable* (and readable) registry in the same directory that the program is stored. That might make it easier to !totally! remove a program...

Reply to
Robert Baer

And a high speed (> 1 mbit/s) connection. Just try surfing the net at

56k nowadays. you would think you were on a small lake for the "surf".
Reply to
JosephKK

Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster.

c.f. Vista.

--
		Przemek Klosowski, Ph.D.
Reply to

Perhaps, linux doesn't make the fastest desktop computers run like shit.

Maybe with 10ghz of cpu and 20GB of ram vista might run OK, but otherwise it's a steaming mountain of pig shit.

And adobe's latest reader runs just fine under linux on my 1.4 ghz laptop with a typical 5200rpm laptop drive. If MS wrote it, you could count on it being unable to run on such hardware.

A $250 computer from 5 years ago will run extremely well w/ linux where vista won't run at all.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

And microsoft does it faster than the chip makers can.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

steps

draw a

a word

Not to mention the 4 seconds it takes on a multiple GHz machine to empty the recycle bin with only one tiny file in it....

Meindert

Reply to
Meindert Sprang

But what they produce is called clogware, not software. :-)

Didi

Didi

And screw up all file associations.

aioe.org, Goggle Groups, and Web TV users must request to be white listed, or I will not see your messages.

If you have broadband, your ISP may have a NNTP news server included in your account:

There are two kinds of people on this earth: The crazy, and the insane. The first sign of insanity is denying that you're crazy.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Who WANTS to run Vista on a five year old computer?

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
Michael A. Terrell

Consider that Adobe needs 100MB hard disk space for just a reader, where others can produce a PDF reader that takes less than 1 MB and starts at least 10x faster, and you still believe Adobe is producing efficient software?

Ever tried Lotus Notes, or CM Synergy (nowadays both IBM), or Borland C++ Builder and still believe Microsoft is the only company that produces crap software.

And sometimes you can't get Linux to install at all, or only without wireless, ACPI...etc.

Your hate towards Microsoft has apparently blinded you. I don't like Microsoft, or their products, but the fact is most software companies produce utter crap (especially the bigger ones), and some manage to produce even worse crap than Microsoft. And let's face it Windows sucks, Linux sucks, they only suck in different ways. Choose your poison.

Reply to
Dombo

The ironic thing is Microsoft wrote part of the firmware for the Commodore 128.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
Michael A. Terrell

no wonder it was a failure. The probably had something to do with that commadore 64 floating around that couldn't run any commadore 64 software.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Who wants to run vista on any machine?

Reply to
AZ Nomad

They're not necessarily mutually exclusive- anyone remember Lynx? Gopher?

;-)

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Actually, there should be parallel "Program Files" & "Data Files" directory structures. Non-changeable things to the first, changeable things to the second. That would make backups easier.

--
ArarghMail808 at [drop the 'http://www.' from ->] http://www.arargh.com
BCET Basic Compiler Page: http://www.arargh.com/basic/index.html

To reply by email, remove the extra stuff from the reply address.
Reply to
ArarghMail808NOSPAM

I use a 64k connection, and it would be less of a problem if web designers didn't assume that one had a T3 or better connection.

--
ArarghMail808 at [drop the 'http://www.' from ->] http://www.arargh.com
BCET Basic Compiler Page: http://www.arargh.com/basic/index.html

To reply by email, remove the extra stuff from the reply address.
Reply to
ArarghMail808NOSPAM

Sorry. I don't remember either of those being in use in the late 70's. :-p

Reply to
AZ Nomad