advice for the right parts for a tiny device: data collection and transmission

hello, im using some hobby time to make a device which collects data from a remote temperature sensor and then performs some rudimentary corelation analysis and stores it on board (about 8-16MB) for sometime. Later it will be transmitted using a class 3 Bluetooth transmitter to my PDA. Im clueless as to the best components out there. Im looking at each to have a really small size (of lesser than 5mmx8mm)in fact the smaller the better!, for each of the components above.

The above is the conceptualization. Ive searched around and found devices from microchip(http://

for the PIC processing chip, But the chips offered are slightly bigger than what im aiming for. And looking at the comments about PIC devices on this usenet i would be happy to know of other microprocessors or devices to do the data processing.

Any suggestions reg either suggestions or resources pointing me to an optimal

1 microprocessor/pic chip ; 2 Btooth device and 3 storage chip (flash memory? ) would be a great help.

thanks

ss

Reply to
ssposts

com) for the PIC processing chip, But =A0the chips offered

silabs has 3x3 mm micros, oki semi has 32 bit 5x5 mm ARM micros, that is the easy part, the available flash is not small, a bga flash is probably the best bet, st micro has 32MB 8x10mm, bluetooth, maybe the nxp bgb203 (7x8mm), but all the passives are going to take up more room then the chip itself

Reply to
steve

skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@s19g2000prg.googlegroups.com...

You may want to have a look at the AT45DB642D-CNU. This is an 8 MByte dataflash memory with an SPI interface in an 8 pin package.

You should probably start with selecting your bluetooth, since this will determine the needs for the controller. Bluetooth stacks can be quite heavy, and for hobby use. If you can get a good solution with internal stack and a UART interface, you should be in business.

An alternative is a USB Bluetooth Dongle. (If you can get the protocol details) Then you need to have a USB host on your device. An AT90USB1287 should be able to run both a bluetooth stack and USB host stack, but will be slightly larger than what you want.

The AVR USBKey has 16 MB of dataflash and could be a good prototype vehicle.

Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson
Ulf Samuelsson