27 new Cortex-M3 micros announced

These include Ethernet and CAN peripherals.

I particularly like the integration of the Ethernet PHY into the device itself. Luminary now have quite a comprehensive range of devices. What is to come next?

....and of coarse, the compulsory FreeRTOS.org demo, includes a mini WEB server.

Regards,
Richard.

+ http://www.FreeRTOS.org
A free real time kernel for 8, 16 and 32bit systems.

+ http://www.SafeRTOS.com
An IEC 61508 certified real time kernel for safety related systems.
Reply to
FreeRTOS.org

USB?

Reply to
linnix

Seems Luminary lets you choose CAN _or_ Ethernet.

If you want a device with more options, like all 3 of CAN/Ethernet/USB, this one, with an impressive little ComStick, looks good ?

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

itself.

next?

It's an impressive lineup now. These are still using the same old process unfortunately but there several new power saving modes including deep sleep that uses around 0.5mW and hibernate using just 50uW battery power.

As an aside, the key ARM v7-M and Cortex-M3 architect recently joined Luminary as the CTO. Knowing Paul, I'm pretty sure we'll be seeing some state of the art stuff from Luminary in the future.

Wilco

Reply to
Wilco Dijkstra

itself.

next?

What has Paul done in the past that would help with the Silicon implementations of the M3? Has he done low power chip design? That is what I see as the biggest limitation of the Luminary parts, they are just too high power for a number of apps.

Reply to
rickman

itself.

next?

Well I'd say designing the M3 counts as doing a low power chip design! Someone like Paul would certainly be useful in solving any major power issues. But I think most of the problem is in the old process, if they move 2 steps then they should get a 3-4 times improvement (as well as lower voltages).

Wilco

Reply to
Wilco Dijkstra

then

Well, since they have licensed the M3 from ARM, and presumably cannot change it, that skill is not much use ?.

Or are Luminary allowed to release a Cortex-M3-Plus, of their own design ?

Also, if ARM have lost the key ARM v7-M and Cortex-M3 architect, that's not sounding good for the lineage ?

The Embedded control market needs application experience, and there would be a risk in having a core Architect, who believes the 'Core is everything', making the strategic decisions.

Peripheral gaffes, or technical feature miss-steps, can kill a product line - so we will wait and see.

Older processes are cheaper to ramp products in, and I've not seen many claim the older processes have higher static power, quite the reverse.

Often the final power, is a chosen trade off, on the bragging rights of MHz, vs FLASH sense amp powers.

Certainly mA/Mhz should improve in new process, but standby powers are a tougher nut to crack.

The AVR32 is also looking a nice family, with the new 3B series in small packages, with affordable tools and a rapidly developing eco-system.

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville