Re: Intel partnering with Nvidia on Larrabee GPU / GPGPU ?

AirRaid wrote:

> [...]

It's not a coprocessor in the X87 sense - not an ISA extension, but a multiprocessor system with two processors with two significantly different ISAs and overall architecture principles.

There's a longer pattern here, it's called "wheel of reincarnation of the graphics processor and the CPU". The pattern here is that graphics processors get more and more general purpose as they develop, and finally become the main CPU. Then, the ISA and architecture settles, and therefore, soon a new graphics accelerator is born, starting the wheel again. GPGPUs are just a step towards an even more general GPU processor, with the x86 compatible part being just a way to achieve backwards compatibility.

--
Bernd Paysan
http://www.jwdt.com/~paysan/

I believe it can be both - depending on how things will evolve. Frankly i am undecided what to expect currently, i.e. which would paint the better picture- but i am inclined to lean on your side from what i see shaping out.

Possibly. If GPU-arch has what it takes to succeed X86 eventually - why not? Could you elaborate on how the migration-path could look in terms of applications, and what timelines do you see?

Regards Klaus

follow-up set to comp.arch

Reply to
Klaus Fehrle