Unusual functions of cheap parts

I thought optical triggered GTOs were still in business??

regards - Henry

"John Larkin" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
Henry Kiefer

Maybe so, but this wasn't a GTO, it was a bulk-effect device, blindingly fast.

Can an opto-triggered GTO be turned *off* with light?

John

One or two may be enough for proof-of-principle measurements.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Hello Henry,

Six sawed off pieces of the pole of a busted market umbrella allowed me to move a 1/2ton piece of furniture all by myself.

Oh wait, wrong category....

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

I'll see if I can find a couple for you.

--
Been there, Done that, I've got my DD214 to prove it.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I've done that with 1" oak dowel.

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | "Winners never quit, quitters never win", Jack Bradley Budnik ~1956

Hello Jim,

But if you bought those I bet my solution was cheaper. About one cent worth of elctricity to saw it ;-)

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

I don't know, I save all my scrap ;-)

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | "Winners never quit, quitters never win", Jack Bradley Budnik ~1956

Back when one of my tasks at Fluke was to interview college recruits, I was asked to describe my job as an Analog Design Engineer. My answer:

"To design precision instruments using cheap, junk parts."

A tip of the hat to Norm Strong...

Steve.

--
Steven D. Swift, novatech@eskimo.com, http://www.novatech-instr.com
NOVATECH INSTRUMENTS, INC.      P.O. Box 55997

OK, I'll trade you some 1500V damper diodes, with datasheets. They should be interesting additions to your parts inventory.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Old thread, but still worth answering.

  • Small signal germanium transistors in glass packaging, (OC45 comes to memory, TO1 package,) make good photodetectors after scrapping the paint.
  • Zener diodes are good noise generators (This is widely known and used.)
  • Some small (toy) dc motors wired in series with a speaker make good siren sounds.

Roberto Waltman

[ Please reply to the group, ] [ return address is invalid. ]
Reply to
Roberto Waltman

Win, I did a lot of digging and the best I can find is five glass

1N4004s. I have either used up all of the glass 1N4007s, or didn't but them back into the right place the last time I used some of them. Are they high enough voltage to test your circuit? If they are, E-mail me with a shipping address, and I'll send them to you. I appreciate the offer of the parts, but I am to the point that I don't feel well enough to do anything at my workbench. It has been about 18 months since I felt like trying to do anything, and most of my test equipment was water damaged in the 2004 hurricanes. Its just too depressing to try to work with what little is left.
prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

That sucks. Sorry it happened to you.

clifto

Yeah. I have some extra instruments not doing anything, if you feel well enough not to use that as an excuse. I get stuff real cheap on eBay, and sometimes Harvard types are too proud to use it. And they also give me stuff nobody wants. A perfectly-fine HP oscilloscope, for example. Before anybody makes a remark, yes I've used HP scopes, used them in EE lab years ago, and have a 500MHz 4-channel Infinium plus an Agilent's 300MHz MSO on my bench now, so hide that smirk. :-)

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

People are funny. I had a 2 MHz scope once, did lots with it. You can use scopes well above their f_max with a simple envelope detector.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

In article , wrote: [....]

I had one with about a 30KHz bandwidth. The nice thing about it was that you could switch to driving the plates externally.

It got lost in a flood :<

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

As reluctant as I am to contradict a fart who's even older than me, if it's glass, it isn't a 1N4004:

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Well, I've been known to disdain HP scopes because their sync sucks, and their knobs have terrible backlash, but at that price, hey, beggars can't be choosers!

You already have my snail mail address - third or fourth class can't be that expensive - I've gone some years without a scope - a couple more weeks certainly isn't going to do me any harm!

Thanks! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I've used H-P scopes, too. They're perfectly fine scopes if you don't need triggered sweep[1]. Some of them even play games.

[1] even those old Telequipment units would trigger on *some* waveforms.
clifto

So, you think that a single datasheet covers all manufacturers, and all production runs? Once again, you show a great lack of understanding. I have several glass 1N4004 diodes in front of me.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida