"Standard parts" for rf amps?

Model making is driven by need. 1nF capacitors don't exist on-chip (at least not very often :), so I don't have a model. But I have built a model of a wirebond that is good up into the 3GHz range.

...Jim Thompson

If the results from SPICE differ from the real results, then your model is inadequate.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Reply to
Roy Lewallen

Spice is as good as the input is! Spice is not a Maxwell field equations solver!

You can predict within 5% without Spice?? How?

- Henry

"Andy Cowley" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@bath.ac.uk...

your

Reply to
Henry Kiefer

[snip]

Some of us have done better than 5% prediction BC (before CAD)... like for close to 20 years before I ever saw a computer... and 25 years before simulation software.

...Jim Thompson

Sure Jim. I understand you. That was the time where time was cheaper. Once I programmed a Gauss linear equations system solver on my Casio FX-602P - having 512 bytes and even left one byte (for extensions ;-) It was with minimal input help system (Showing the indices to input) and the matrix was of dynamical order. (Sorry for my bad english)

I can buy resistors and capacitors with 5%, sometimes with 1%. If you build a rc oscillator with 1% component values, you get an error typical 1,5%. And then you add the active components with horrible semiconductor strayung values. Of course, it is possible with feedback structures to linearize and stabilize such systems. So, where is the difference between measurement of the component values and calculating by hand the circuit OR setting the measured values in the Spice component dialog boxes? The difference is the time needed and the possibility to make errors.

5% is a real good value for an analog system.

Hey Jim - Why you don't answer my second private message? :-(

- Henry

"Jim Thompson" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
Henry Kiefer

The NE85633 bipolar transistor from California Eastern Laboratories (CEL) ! very cheap quite stable and with a good noise figure. very well documented by the manufacturer! try to fish a development kit of SMD coils from Murata, sometimes they give them away for free. I personally prefer to go with air wound inductors, they're better and quite small at these frequencies. Saandy 4Z5KS

Reply to
Saandy , 4Z5KS

Thanks Saandy! I knew CEL but forget them ;-)

Seems the NE85633 is really cheap and good performance. The package is reasoable for hobbyists. Do you already converted the parameters to spice and is it possible to provide the file to me? Thank you!

Should be a good oscillator and all-purpose amp...

Sure, plain wire is better than the manufactured coils if possible to apply.

cu - Henry

"Saandy , 4Z5KS" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Henry Kiefer

Sorry. I found the needed file at CEL website by searching for part number.

- Henry

"Henry Kiefer" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:43971923$0$9633$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.arcor-online.net...

apply.

Reply to
Henry Kiefer

I have a nice line of 2% caps in stock, but where do you get the elusive (affordable) 1% capacitors?

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

You have undergrads select them. :-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

For example

But I think there are other manufacturers too.

- Henry

"W> >

Reply to
Henry Kiefer

OR two capacitors in parallel. The support cap has a nominal value of 1/100 of the bigger cap. So you can tune the bigger.

- Henry

"Rich Grise" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@example.net...

typical

elusive

Reply to
Henry Kiefer

Digikey stocks a handful of Panasonic ECQ-P(Z), POLYPROPYLENE, Radial, 0.001 to 0.47 uF.

Not a great selection, but probably good enough for many timing applications if you do the fine tuning with the size of the R.

Hal Murray

That's good to hear of, thanks! The 2% parts I have in stock are the same series, but cheaper 2% parts. I didn't realize DigiKey carried so many 1% film capacitor values in stock.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

For timing purposes I suggest using a ready-to-use clock generator in tiny SOT-23 or alike. For example from

and
They have a accuracy well in the 2% range and can be tuned with a little resistor 1%. Maxim sells a 32768Hz variant - crystal controlled. They're all digital ouput!

Building a 32KHz oscillator with a clock crystal and having sinus output is really simple with CMOS buffers. You can mix the signal with RF getting an IF somewhere. Look at the app note at

how to build a time-code receiver using that concept - just of the cystral and cypress mixed-signal controller.

- Henry

"W> >

Reply to
Henry Kiefer

Henry,

I don't suppose you have the name and/or number of that application note? I did a little searching without success to find it.

---Joel Kolstad

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

Here it is Joel:

(Seems that it is not on the cypress site)

If you realize something with the PSoC, then I would like to hear from you.

- Henry

"Joel Kolstad" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com...

is

note

concept -

Henry Kiefer

Like snot???

(more snippage) Sorry. I couldn't resist it.

Merry Christmas to all!!!

-Bob

Reply to
hayseed

Turns out that if you really want micropower sinewave oscillation at

32kHz, you are far better off using bipolar transistors than CMOS gates.
--
Many thanks,

Don Lancaster