Latest threads in Hobby Electronics Basicsshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

cmos IC question
I'm using some cmos IC gates in a project. All seem to have an internal protection network to insure that the inputs can't exceed supply or go more negative than ground with internal diodes. My...
18
18

"Show Me the _Times_ Article That's A Square Wave. I Dare You. I Double Dare Ya . . .
. . . . all our articles are sine waves." -- Shultzberger X (knowing full well the macro effect of partial truths)
3
3

Switch mystery
As you can see in the picture, the switch is set to the off position. When I test the continuity, there is no beep. However, when I test the outgoing voltage, it is 18 Volts D.c. What gives? ""
6
6

Re: Sanity check on simple optocoupler use
2017EA6C0B929975CCA72C43 That looks fine. FOD817 has 50-150% current transfer ratio ( ) So, with 3mA in you can expect at-least 1.5mA out, with the output being 10K and 12V that means the output will...
1
1

NiMH batteries
I bought some EBL aaa nimh batteries. Voltage is 1.3 v. Does that mean they are already fully charged? Andy
2
2

Really basic transistor question
I want to build a device that will take my phones off line. The phones are connected to a Vonage modem that (I'm sure) uses the POTS standard. Which is 50v DC at "idle"/on-hook and 90v (RMS) 20 Hz...
3
3

Switch for vaporizer
I use this switch for a hot vaporizer. I noticed the switch get pretty warm when vaporizer is running. It draws 5 amps, but the switch is rate at 3 amps. "" Does it look like any problems based on the...
7
7

Retro Button Would Further Automation On the Boeing Max & Everything Else That Seems Sophisticated Beyond the Intelligence of Designers
Put a retro or "my kingdom for a horse" switch on anything that seems unnecessarily over automated or when the additional sophistication is of a minor advantage. If anything doesn't seem perfect, tap...
51
51

Switch for USB cable
This is an electronics question. :-) I have problems scanning documents. To get a scan to work, I have to unplug the usb cable (that goes from desktop to scanner) Then reopen my scanner app and then...
2
2

Interacting externally with a PC?
Any suggestions on a no-brainer and safe way to get external input recognis ed by a PC please? Apart from a voice command approach. Or a solenoid to ta p a key. For example a cheap commercial or...
9
9

Lifespan of lithium-polymer battery
What is an average lifespan for a lithium-polymer battery? I have one in my fitbit. Andy
12
12

noise lecture
I'm giving my kids a little lecture on noise this afternoon. Here's my outline. Did I miss anything? Noise In Electronics Notes JL Feb 25, 2019 Conductors, atoms, electrons Johnson/Nyquist noise Ej =...

Cycling Safety Transponder, 15m - 45m Range
The Bike Shield app never caught on because of spotty data in scenic areas. Also some cyclists don't like posting their GPS. A transponder is the same thing as a bike light except it's at radio freque...
14
14

Re: British intelligence chiefs say Huawei SHOULD be allowed to bid for UK contracts after ruling spying risks can be mitigated...
Who care, anyway US is spying us all. Us is manipulating as they don't have 5G ready and huawei is way above us product.

A question about led drivers
I've no experience with them so any info could be helpful. My question is that it seems to me that there are often a series of drivers from a manufacturer with similar prices and they all output the...
10
10