Latest threads in Hobby Electronics Basicsshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Cell Phone Brain Scan Study
The media has been making a big to-do about a study showing a correlation between cell phone use and brain activity: I am completely underwhelmed. Besides the small size of the reported change (7%...
6
6

lm555 timer problem
I have a basic off the shelf astable timer circuit with the diode for less than 50% duty cycle thats on this page. I hooked it up with 4 AAA NiMH batteries. I used an LED to get the resistors correct...
18
18

Basic book on electronics?
Hi, My nephew in Down Under wants to get into hardware. I'd like to give him a book on basic hardware theory and practice. He has an Arduino board, but has little knowledge about all the various...
7
7

AD/DA and Op amp?
Hi, I have been playing with USB using Ztex's USB module. I plan to make an oscilloscope and function generator. Therefore I would need an AD and DA chip with 12 bit resolution. And quite fast ones...
3
3

Electrician questions
I have a service panel on the side of the house that feeds a sub panel inside. Over the years a few breakers got added to supply an air conditioner and electric clothes dryer (in the outdoor panel...
25
25

battery capacity
Hi all, I am using lithium thionyl chloride batteries. I want to know how much of charge is left in it after some usage of a 5 hours. How can I find. Thanks and regards, S.Muthuraman.
1
1

What is the maximum clock rate Hz given the state of today's technology?
Hi: What is the maximum physically-possible clock rate [measured in Hz] of a 1-bit-per-cycle, single-core, purely-serial processor? Thanks, Green Xenon
1
1

USB device interfering AM radio
I just discovered this. And I also found that the AC to USB power adaptor does not have a metal ground pin. So would this AM interference be gone after getting a better AC to USB power adaptor? -- @~@...
10
10

Computer Diagnostics
How useful (in your experience) is a PCI diagnostic card (post card)? I know the cheap PSU testers are a waste because I've seen them deem a bad one "Ok". TIA
5
5

PCBs stack Insulating
HI, I have 2 PCBs stacked with standoffs the one on the top is a SMPS, and the one on the botttom has some TH components that can bridge with some in the top PCB, I was wondering how it is normally do...
10
10

Hi capacity rechargeable AA Batteries?
I see numerous offers for rechargeable AA batteries on Ebay. I bought a set of 4 advertised at 2500 maH, but turned out to be only about 400maH at a 330 mA load in my digital camera. The batteries...
21
21

Disguising a Reference So Others Can Test Your Filter
Say someone boasts about having a new filter that, in certain situations, can reduce noise more and faster than any other filter? Is there any way to encode a reference that isn't directly...
7
7

Powering an IR2155
Hello, I'm having a little trouble understanding how to power an International Rectifier IR2155 half-bridge self-oscillating MOSFET driver. The datasheet shows a basic usage model where the device is...
3
3

How to supply a 40V LED driver from mains?
Hi all, I want to install some microcontroller based mood lighting using high- flux Cree LEDS. Most of the interesting led drivers which can be coupled to a microcontroller for this sort of...
13
13

rc potentiometer
I have some hydraulic machinery controlled via a 5kohm pot, an amplifier, and solenoids etc. I'd like to control wirelessly. Is there some "off the shelf" products I can buy to replace a wired...
4
4