Z80 reset circuit

I agree 100%. The microprocessors and peripheral chips don't have Schmitt triggers to shape the external reset, so it needs to be a well formed reset that hold the system in reset at least a few clock cycles more than the specifications, to allow for aging of the components. I prefer to hold it in reset three to five times the specified clock cycles, just to be sure.

Michael A. Terrell

If you have an oscillator that has to start (and stabilize), you'd better wait for it too. ;-)

Reply to
krw

These used an external chroma source, and the CPU clock was divided down from that. There was an internal fail safe source, but the unit was useless without external sync & clock signals.

Michael A. Terrell

Perhaps this is what you are seeking:

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
Web Camera Page:     http://www.dontronics.com/webcam
No More Damn Spam:   http://www.dontronics.com/spam

Breakout, Prototype, Development, & Robotics Boards.
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/sparkfun-electronics.html
Reply to
Don McKenzie

I was speaking in the general sense. R-C resets suck because they cannot be guaranteed to work.

Reply to
krw

Microchip and Dallas both make TO-92 packaged 3 terminal reset circuits. Like the DS1233. They work well, allow the use of a push button in parallel with the reset for manual resetting and you can specify the voltage range you want it to reset at.

Jim

Reply to
WangoTango