Wattage of rough service incandecent bulbs ??

I have build a series load test light. eg. you plug a load in and it runs i
n series through a lamp, in case there is a short, the lamp takes up the lo
ad, so as to not blow a fuse. The lamp you use should be 3 x's the load. eg
 20 watt load should have a 60 watt bulb. this means that you really need a
 variety of lamps.

Once finished I realized that getting an incandescent light bulb is not so
easy since the government has restricted the manufacture and importation of
 them. They do still allow a few varieties. One such variety is Rough Servi
ce lamps. Im kinda wondering since I assume that a 40W rough service light
still uses 40w?  Since that's what is on the packaging. My understanding is
 that they have thicker filaments, which would draw more wattage. But I thi
nk this would just give off less light. I respect the engineers who put the
 data on the package so I assume that a 40w is still 40 watts. It would be
wrong to put anything else on the package.

Of course if I wanted a larger bulb 60w 100w 150w. I'm not sure what to use
. Maybe a flood light which I think are still available for 150w.

Finally, I wonder if I ordered incandescent lamps from Amazon, if they woul
d be stopped at the boarder ???

Thoughts ??

Re: Wattage of rough service incandecent bulbs ??
[...]

Why can't you find rgular bulbs? Anything considered a specialty bulb, whic
h is under 60 watts was excluded. It isn't that hard to still find 60Watt,
but the prices have gone up two about double. I still have a stash of them,
 and I'd bet that you have a friend or neighbor who has some they didn't th
row out.

Dollar Tree has 60W halogen and 4W ceiling fan lamps. The only 20W that I'v
e ever seen used odd bases. Grainger has several types, but all that I have
 seen were for fish tanks.

<https://www.grainger.com/search?searchBar=true&searchQuery20%W++light+
bulbs+incadescent>

Re: Wattage of rough service incandecent bulbs ??
I had not thought about Grainger for lamps. Thanks for that.

I did go to my local little hardware and they only had Service lights of 40
 Watts. I have not gone to a Big hardware as it is some distance. I will lo
ok there when I'm there next.

You mention halogen lamps, are they a resistive type light?? I didnt look a
t them cause, well they are more money and I didnt think they would work??

By the way here is in theory what the law is.

"Federal government banned the import and sale of 75- and 100-watt incandes
cent bulbs, effective 1 January 2014. On 1 January 2015, 40- and 60-watt bu
lbs were also banned. Retailers will be allowed to sell their existing inve
ntories imported before the bans."

Regards.

?
escent bulbs, effective 1 January 2014. On 1 January 2015, 40- and 60-watt
bulbs were also banned. Retailers will be allowed to sell their existing in
ventories imported before the bans."

Halogen lamps are incandescent lamps. The Halogen gas not only lets the fil
ament run hotter, it helps redeposit the evaporated tungsten on the filamen
t. This gives more Lumens per watt, and longer service life.

Re: Wattage of rough service incandecent bulbs ??
I did not know that about Halogen. Thanks.

Re: Wattage of rough service incandecent bulbs ??

I thought Trump relaxed that law.

Re: Wattage of rough service incandecent bulbs ??
If its related to golf or Ukraine.
Then I sense its not done.

Re: Wattage of rough service incandecent bulbs ??
Yup,
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-49591143
+1 for DT

George H.

Re: Wattage of rough service incandecent bulbs ??
On Mon, 13 Jan 2020 14:55:57 -0800 (PST), George Herold

I think economics will win out in spite of Dog Turd's hazy
understanding of...  well... everything.

Personally I like the idea of their availability, I have an incubator
that uses them and they are damned handy when used as a ballast.
Resistance changes a factor of >10 from cold to hot.

Check this baby out:
https://www.passdiy.com/projects/images/content/zenlite_24.png

Full schematic:
https://www.passdiy.com/project/amplifiers/zen-variations-1

Re: Wattage of rough service incandecent bulbs ??
Right let the market decide.

Nice, I've seen these Zen amps before... (I'm a class A type of guy.)
 Is this meant as an active load to test amps and such?
(make sure the heatsink is big enough.)

George H.

Re: Wattage of rough service incandecent bulbs ??
On Tue, 14 Jan 2020 07:41:12 -0800 (PST), George Herold

My cuz was bequeathed this 6 family apartment house and like all
landlords was bitching and moaning about (among other things) the
tenants who'd leave the stairway lights on 24/7 (there were large
windows to let light in).

I got his electric bills out and showed him what the incandescent
bulbs were costing him (~$300/year versus LEDs <$40 a year) and nary a
peep (on that topic) again.  Hardly pays to have an electrician to
install a timer.

From what I gather, they are using the lamps as a current
regulator/resistor with no need for a heat sink.

In the ancient past, teletypes used purpose-built tungsten filament
bulbs as a current regulating ballast.  They'd glow dimly when in use.

Re: Wattage of rough service incandecent bulbs ??
Oh I meant a heat sink for the FET.
I used them for AGC in a Wien bridge oscillator.  Good fun.
GH

Re: Wattage of rough service incandecent bulbs ??
On Wed, 15 Jan 2020 14:54:09 -0800 (PST), George Herold

I'd seen the circuit for that and the implementation when I took apart
one of the audio oscillators we used in the Navy.

"Like the other HP oscillators, the HP200A is a Wien bridge
resistance-tuned audio oscillator using the light-bulb stabilized
negative feedback circuit designed by William Hewlett while doing
graduate work at Stanford. (Patent #2268872. Application filed in 1939
and granted in 1942)."

https://people.ohio.edu/postr/bapix/HP200A.htm
https://people.ohio.edu/postr/bapix/HP200C.htm

Re: Wattage of rough service incandecent bulbs ??

Yeah I found out about it in one of Jim William's articles.
fun stuff.
George H.

Re: Wattage of rough service incandecent bulbs ??

The TS-382 series were military versions in transit cases. They had a vibration reed frequency meter to display 60 Hz and 400Hz. The insides were protected for Jungle use, and the one I have, (TS-382/F)has heat strips to drive moisture out of the cabinet.

Re: Wattage of rough service incandecent bulbs ??
On Thu, 16 Jan 2020 10:42:28 -0800 (PST), Michael Terrell

I remember those from navy ET-A school.  They had two resonant reeds,
for 40 HZ and 400 HZ.

In the field we had almost all commercial equipment and not the
Army-Navy near-indestructible versions of test gear.  We did get one
O'scope, big, heavy thing, that had among it's design requirements
that it be able to fall from a height of 5 feet onto concrete and
remain in calibration and operating condition.  There was some talk of
testing that, but I don't think anyone did; and I think the concrete
would suffer if it had been.

Re: Wattage of rough service incandecent bulbs ??

should have been 60 and 400 HZ

Re: Wattage of rough service incandecent bulbs ??
bration reed frequency meter to display 60 Hz and 400Hz. The insides were p
rotected for Jungle use, and the one I have, (TS-382/F)has heat strips to d
rive moisture out of the cabinet.

I've never seen one for 40 Hz. Only 60Hz or 60Hz and 400Hz.

Re: Wattage of rough service incandecent bulbs ??
vibration reed frequency meter to display 60 Hz and 400Hz. The insides were
 protected for Jungle use, and the one I have, (TS-382/F)has heat strips to
 drive moisture out of the cabinet.

Niagara Falls use to send out 25 Hz power.. (maybe three phase,
but I couldn't find a reference.)

George H.

Re: Wattage of rough service incandecent bulbs ??
On Sun, 26 Jan 2020 13:00:49 -0800 (PST), George Herold

The New York Central System was still using 25HZ 3 phase power
transmission as late as 1970 (the trains used 600+ volts of DC to the
third rail via cycloconverters)  The last time I was up there was 2005
and the station lights weren't flickering and they didn't have
incandescent bulbs, so they may have changed the frequency.

There was very noticeable flicker with incandescent light bulbs at 25
HZ

Site Timeline