The end of incandescent bulbs?

I heard that all incandescent bulbs will quit being produced and illegal to sell in 2013. Is that true? I've also heard that some bulbs like the Par 38 outdoor spots and floods might continue to be available. Is that true? Someone said they thought pretty much all halogen bulbs will still be available... Can someone there tell me what the truth actually is? What about entertainment bulbs, like Par 64s and 56s, and aircraft landing lights...???

Reply to
dh

Get your 100W ones here, buy them online:

Chisolm
Republic of Texas
Reply to
Joe Chisolm

All fluff and no meat. Do you get the same lumens at 30% less energy, or is it a scam?

I stock up on incandescents at...

Though I must confess... while no fan of CFL's, I have been replacing incandescents at hard to reach locations with LED equivalents. ...Jim Thompson

Dont know. Was listening to Rush one day and heard him talking to this guy about them. The key was you could still get incandescents of any wattage and not have to deal with CFL. If I remember correctly the CR they passed in December only delayed the ban for 9 months.

BTW: If anyone should be recalled it's Harry Reid and the rest of the senate for not doing their constitutionally mandated job.

I rarely use 100W and have a supply of 75 and 60 while I shift over to LED. I still use CFL in a few ceiling cans becuase they run cooler. When they die I'll move them to LED. Redoing the kitchen lights now - they will all be LED

--
Chisolm
Republic of Texas

Same here. You can now get an LED recess assembly that will drop right in where the halogen flood fixture was. $$$, but pushing towards 1000 Lumens. ...Jim Thompson

It looks to me as if these folks are trying to take advantage of one of the exemptions in the law. "Rough service" and "vibration service" lamps are specifically exempted from the new lumen-efficiency regulations.

I note that these bulbs list a 10,000 hour lifespan. If I recall correctly, standard incandescents are rated at about 2,000 hours. Longer-life incandescents tend to have heavier, higher-resistance filaments that operate at a somewhat lower temperature than standard incandescents... and because they run cooler, their emissions are shifted even more towards the IR than is usual for an incandescent.

So, you get somewhat lower lumens per watt than with a standard incandescent. For a given amount of light delivered, these bulbs may cost significantly more to operate than a normal incandescent... let alone one of the 70-watt halogen-capsule "100-watt replacement" bulbs now on the market.

Dave Platt

The good ones (1690 lumens @ 100W) are 750 hours.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

gy,

"

I don't know. I think I'll go back to teh reliable carbon filament. What was good enough for Edison [the inventor of the electric chair] is good enough for me.

Reply to
Robert Macy

AFAIK, the ban on 100W bulbs is technically still in effect. The CR that was passed only delayed the enforcement of the law. IOW, if you sell a 100W medium Edison base bulb, you're still violating the law but the government can't prosecute you. Yet.

If that happened, there would never have been a Senate.

I use 100s for outside, garage, and basement lighting. The basement I'll switch over to fluorescent, sooner or later. I have a *lot* of fixtures that want unfrosted 60W bulbs.

Reply to
krw

,

=A0 =A0...Jim Thompson

UV degrades retinas over time, producing night blindness / reduced sensitivity at night.

Blue light does the same at a slower pace.

I like LEDs but the heavy blue spike bugs me. I'd betcha 20 years hence some genius figures out it's harmful.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

and a color temperature of about 2870 K

Better color can be had with shorter life:

ECT PhotoFlood Lamp 13650 lumens @ 500w, 3200 K, 60 hours

EBV PhotoFlood Lamp 17000 lumens @ 500w, 3400 K, 6 hours

The blue filtered EBW daylight photoflood delivers a color temperature of

4800 K with some unfound reduction in lumen output, 6 hours.

Still available, stock up now :-). It will be a long time before any LED bulb matches the CRI of these - or the quartz-halogen bulbs with reasonable lifetimes.

(scroll way down for LED bulb spectrum.)

Reply to
Glen Walpert

I like it! When my family tell me off for leaving lights on (in winter) I tell them that they are for heating. They say "But that's an insignificant amount of heating". You can imagine my response.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

That's due to the fact that you are a carbon retard.

Goddamned cross posting retards.

The $50 LED bulb will last 20 years.

That alone would pay for it, but it also pays for itself in energy savings.

You are dumber than dogshit.

There are even LED based spotlights out there that beat the incandescents. ESPECIALLY on power. But also brightness.

Face it, hot filaments are all but dead.

Reply to
Chieftain of the Carpet Crawlers

Yes, but you forget that those $50 LED bulbs will be selling for $5 in

5 years and will be brighter. So, why would I want to waste $45 buying it now?

-Bill

Reply to
Bill Bowden

And you are a carbon failure. Nature screwed up with you.

They haven't been around for 20 years, AlwaysWrong.

But smarter than you.

Speaking of dead, you are brain-dead, AlwaysWrong. It is apparent from your meaningless posts.

Reply to
John S

AlwaysWrong is even wrong with his quotes. Carbon retard? Coming from AlwaysWrong, it's always wrong. It's not even possible.

WTF do I care? Who but a dim bulb would believe such marketing crap, DimBulb?

Always Wrong.

AlwaysWrong, deep in scat.

What an idiot, you are, DimBulb.

A *long* way from it, AlwaysWrong.