Sola Constant Voltage Harmonic Neutralized Transformer - Buzzzzzz

I've got a Sola Constant Voltage Harmonic Neutralized Transformer that I use as an isolation transformer when working on TVs. It's heavy enough that my grandfather put wheels on it and a pair of handles to move it around. The fact that granddad did it tells you something of its age. It's always hummed, but the hum now seems more like a roar.

I know old transformers tend to delaminate, but is there anything that can be done to tone it down? When I switch it on, it tends to scare everyone in the room more than the open high voltage in the set under repair.

Reply to
T o d d P a t t i s t

Yes they do this.

The cure is to remove the transformer part from the case and all, tape the leads together to enclose them and take it to a transfromer shop where they will encapulsate it with epoxy. Put it back together and it will be quiet as a mouse. Be sure to label/mark the leads when disassembling. Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ