voltage regulator accuracy

I have a National Semiconductor Corp. "Voltage Regulator Handbook"

1982 it explains all you'd need. No ISBN number on the book.

A great resource for stuff like this is

They are an on-line association of bookstores throughout the US and most of the English speaking world and then some. You can search on Title, Author, Topic, and ISBN #

Many of the books are much less than the $3-4 shipping it takes to get them . . . (Great if you're addicted to novels and would rather have a hard cover for a dollar than a paperback for more)

But . . . they also have just about any and every electronics text you can imagine. I love seeing how others solve circuit problems and love the "Encyclopedia of Electronic Circuits series" but not the $20+ prices. I have eight of them and paid between $1-8 for them - earlier ones are less expensive.

No financial interest in abe books, but I've used them for many years now and am very satisfied. In the one or two instances where a wrong book was shipped - I emailed them and the bookseller elected to refund the entire cost and let me keep the book. Only downside is 3 weeks shipping via book rate postage.

Newsgroups
default

Ha, If you even knew how bad some of the NTE replacement parts are, you wouldn't be saying that.

I've had some much bad experience with incompatible parts, I will go out of my way to not use them.

The fact that many of them are not physically compatible isn't so much as an issue. Its when you're using parts that need to replace RF components to find, the part given by NTE as a replacement is not even close enough to get the unit useable let alone working enough to see if there is indication of life.

Op-amp replacements that just simply do not meet the minimum requirements of the component being replaced. Specialized IC's that do not have all of their functions working etc..

Which reminds me of a horizontal sync driver chip replacement for a Zenith TV a few years ago from NTE, it offset the picture because the digital counter/scaler was incorrect. After trying 2 of them, I finally got the original part number. PLL's chips incorrectly supporting the programming lines. R.F. power transistors BW way to low..

That's just the tip of the iceberg!.

I've been around this far too long, its old news to me.

There is nothing like putting in the real part from what ever manufacturer happens to be making them.

Maybe you've had some bad experience in trying to resurrect or build something using NTE parts and didn't even realize it might had not been anything wrong in your work.

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5
Reply to
Jamie

GEE, did you ever consider that some OEM part numbers are reused by other companies? Use some common sense. I have worked up to KU band, and repaired microwave equipment when no manuals or parts were available, and little test equipment. If you KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING, it isn't difficult.

So you think NTE had a crappy ASIC chip designed as a replacement, rather than buy a million form the OEM with their house number? What a maroon.

I guess that you have never heard of a manufacturer screening gumdrop parts, and selecting the ones that work best for a particular circuit? Some sort them into multiple grades, and assign different stock numbers, for different applications.

No, I've used literally thousands of ECG and NTE replacement semiconductors, and only had two bad parts. I have used replacement semiconductors for over 40 years, and still have several hundred ECG and NTE types in my personal stock. I started with the original RCA SK series in the mid '60s, when the entire cross reference was a small wall chart, about the size of the retail tube price sheets. OTOH, I HAVE seen a lot of piss poor techs destroy piles of replacement semiconductors by mishandling ESD sensitive components, and overheating them by using the wrong soldering equipment. They also stuck a new semiconductor into a piece of equipment without correcting the original fault, or not paying attention and soldering the part in, in the wrong orientation. My 40+ years of repairing electronics says that you are wrong. of all the lines of replacement parts, the early GE was the worst.

Over the past 40 years I've used: RCA SK, GE GE and GEIC, MOTOROLA HEP, WORKMAN, DELCO DS and DM, ZENITH, SYLVANIA/PHILIPS ECG and NTE parts.

There were hundreds of bad GE parts, and less than a dozen of all the other brands, combined. In those 40+ years I repaired consumer, industrial, broadcast and high power audio equipment.

A poor workman blames his tools, rather than himself.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

--
If you have no other use for them and you want some extra cash you
might want to get in touch with some of the part miners.

I have a whole crap load of EGC, NTE, STK, HEP and lots of DELCO parts that were given to me and some I simply refuse to use for anything other than helping my friends repair some old crap and maybe ebaying them. Want them? I even have some original in package Germanium RCA transistors.

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5
Reply to
Jamie

Ok, well I guess I could do that. I do have lots of new in packaged older parts that were originally designated for replacement of OEM line and original OEM parts.

Most of what I purchased my self over the years has been used how ever, I have friends that like to clean out shops, warehouses, estates and so on. I end up getting a variety of parts like this. Once in a while I get an antique or something slightly in the solid state era to resurrect for a favor or small fee. It's getting so that now, my storage facilities (my basement) is getting crowded! :)

I'll keep your suggestions under advisement :)

Thanks.

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5
Reply to
Jamie

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 12:35:22 -0700 in sci.electronics.basics, Tim Wescott wrote,

Bull! NTE charges more for regulators that are never better and sometimes worse than you will get for less from many other suppliers. Spending more for NTE guarantees nothing, and repeating the overpriced vendor's old chestnut "you get what you pay for" accomplishes nothing.

Reply to
David Harmon