Using a 18" Dish for Radio Astronomy Demonstrations--Need Simple Power Supply

Somewhere I came across a setup for a simple "itty bitty" radio telescope a number of years ago. Its purpose is educational. Basically, it consists of a discarded 18" dish, power supply, and a satellite signal finder. I happen to have a Channel Master 1004ifd finder, but it gets its power from the LNB, which apparently gets it from a satellite rcvr. I have no rcvr. Is there some simple inexpensive 12v dc power supply (battery pack) that I could use? I would guess that it would need a connector of some sort to hook to the LNB.

Reply to
W. eWatson

WEll, lucky me. A small amount of Googling got me to

I'm not sure our local The Shack has a choke. I may have one. My LNB is different than the one in the pic. It's a Eagle Aspen DTV32+. I'm sure I have a battery clip and 8 battery holder. This might do it. I didn't notice the Rx connector on my CM, but that is where the power goes. I may be set.

Reply to
W. eWatson

Somewhere I came across a setup for a simple "itty bitty" radio telescope a number of years ago. Its purpose is educational. Basically, it consists of a discarded 18" dish, power supply, and a satellite signal finder. I happen to have a Channel Master 1004ifd finder, but it gets its power from the LNB, which apparently gets it from a satellite rcvr. I have no rcvr. I'm looking for a way to power it.

WEll, lucky me. A small amount of Googling got me to

I'm not sure our local The Shack has a choke. I may have one. My LNB is different than the one in the pic. It's a Eagle Aspen DTV32+. I'm sure I have a battery clip and 8 battery holder. This might do it. I didn't notice the Rx connector on my CM1004, but that is where the power goes. I may be set.

I constructed the battery pack in the link above, but w/o the coil. I plugged it into the 1004ifd and immediately got something of a single note noise from the device. This seems wrong. Any ideas? I did not connect to the LNB and disk.

Reply to
W. eWatson

13VDC up the coax, center positive.

yeah, 12V may be enough, the connector is probably 'F'

with the input open circuit unloaded and the output shorted it could be oscilating, or that could be the base level tone.

Jasen Betts

oscilating,

Thanks. So I should put the choke in and connect the LNB? Yes, F.

Reply to
W. eWatson

oscilating,

Yeah, the choke will probably help, for even better termination you could stick a 75 ohm resistor (82 is probably close enough) in parallel with the choke and a 100pF capacitor parallel with the battery. But that may not be needed,

Pointing the LNB arm of the dish (which point in the approximate direction of the focus) somewhere in the general direction of the sun (during the day) and you should get a big peak on the meter.

Jasen Betts

oscilating,

stick a 75 ohm

capacitor parallel

the

I hadn't realized that some years ago I had put a choke on the cable. I happened to remove some of the deteriorating electrical tape.

Now I am at a loss. I hooked up the LNB on the dish, and still get the squeal. Maybe that's OK. The CM sees a voltage of 10 on it's meter or 35 on signal strength. That corresponds to what I measure across the battery pack with my volt meter. It looks like gain may jack up the signal strength. It may change the pitch. Not sure. Things get louder.

I have a second (Aspen) LNB detached from the dish. The LNB on the dish was part of the original equipment.

OK, I've got something going with the Aspen. If I point it at the ground, the needle goes up. If I point at the sky, it goes to zero. Pointing it near the sun doesn't change the sky reading, since I probably need to use the disk and point it at the sun. I think the link above gives some clues about pointing.

I'll be back shortly. I went to get my voltmeter, and when I came back wasn't hearing much of anything. I checked the voltage at it's up around

9v. Interestingly, the sun was getting blocked by some clouds. Probably not related. I hope the batteries aren't getting drained by this exercise, AA. They were fresh.

I think some more fiddling is required.

Reply to
W. eWatson

OK, here's the deal. With the Aspen I have the meter around 30 with it lying on the table. When I point it to the sky it goes to 0. When I point it at the ground it goes back up to around 30

With the DTV and dish, the dish is just point to the empty sky, and the meter is reading 20. When I put my hand in front of the LNB and immediate vicinity, the meter rises to higher values according to how close I am to the LNB.

OK, time to read the material about pointing the dish.

Reply to
W. eWatson

Ah,I found someone outside the web that had good knowledge of the the Itty Bitty Tele (IBT), and here's my problem. The voltage needs to be kept about 12v, maybe 11v, but it's crucial to get this working. Further, the choke is not needed. As it turns out, the Aspen LNB is very good, but I should replace the dish with one that accommodates the Aspen. The Aspen won't fit on the dish. No easy mechanical link. Secondly, the dish is better in this app if it's circular. Well,things to do ofter the next weeks.

Thanks for pitching in.

Reply to
W. eWatson