Need to supply power to 8 sensors. What is the best way?

Using either CR30-DN or CR30-15A0. According to the datasheet (Click on "CR Series - Catalogue":

the current consumptiion is "Max.15 mA for the digital sensor (CR30-DN and a ----- or blank for the analog sensor. )

First I don't understand why there is a blank for the analog sensor, does this mean it doesn't matter since it will take whatever it needs from the AC outlet? Then, I suppose for the DC sensor, which needs 15 mA max, I could use a supply with multiple DC power outputs, (eight I need) at 24V that would supply these 15 mA for each sensor. What then, can I use? ( I assume I could use eight 24V ac adapters? but then its to many of them). Please if you can guide me, this is my first time supplying anything with power other than in the lab, If you know about a "multiple DC output power supply" I could use or where to get it . Or what is the best solution? I'm pretty sure this is a very simple thing to do, please let me know if this reasoning is correct, or even an article about this would be great.

Thanks,

Chatarras

Reply to
Chatarras

One big 24V supply, with all the sensors connected in parallel, should do just fine. The sensors will take what they need; the promise in the data sheet is that they won't take _more_ than 15mA.

I can't download anything from the site so I just see the page you see. I suspect that the "AC" sensor is _just_ the sensor without any signal conditioning electronics. It's there so that _you_ can build the signal conditioning electronics, and as such the power consumption will depend on how you excite the thing. If you can't even figure out how to plug more than one DC-powered unit into a power supply, you don't want to touch this task.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

)

ta

=A0

the page is

=3D01/01/03&db_uid=3D10

The question is about a recomendation of a "big 24V power supply" that will supply the 8 sensors, with 8 connectors. I guess a normal 24V adapter I could buy anywhere could do the task but I would need to split the cable.. into 8.

Reply to
Chatarras

Yes, and I can't get to a data sheet from there, as I said.

That's right, if the adapter can supply 8 x 15mA.

This is really, really basic stuff -- you need to find some basic electronics text that starts with an explanation of how to light a bulb with a battery and goes on from there.

I sincerely hope that your training isn't in electronics -- if it is you got short changed. Did you never take a class in electronics for non- electronic engineering majors? If not, if you have the time, and if you are close to a school that offers it -- take the class.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

5

the

.

Thanks for the answer, I appreciate it. This is really basic stuff, but I've never seen it. I haven't seen a physical 24V power supply with multiple outputs, that I can buy. I've seen a power adapter, that outputs 24V I'm searching the Internet, maybe Siemens has one. There is nothing wrong with my reasoning, simple as it may be, and from the beggining I said I was looking for a "multiple output power supply". I've bought electronics about twice, from sparkfun electronics and maybe one time from Digikey. I can get a 24V power supply, which I think most of them are 300 mA, so it will work, but then I need to split the cable, and create connectors for all of them. Thought something more nice was to be found.

It the difference between buying a single cable or a surge protector with 8 outlets. Its not a neccesity, but makes things easier. That's all, I don't even know how to call it, "multiple output dc power supply with 8 outputs". And well this is my first time supplying 8 sensors with a single power supply. Maybe I need to be more confident in asking questions, like when asking a girl out.

Reply to
Chatarras

What is the difference between powering 8 sensors or 8 transistors in a circuit board? Are you going to build 8 power supplies for a 8 transistors amplifier? How about 16, 32 or 64 transistors?

Reply to
linnix

Fair enough. But I don't think there isn't much of a market for 24V power strips. It is the 'output strip' part that's a problem. Most would get the power supply with the right current compliance and then fabricate or buy suitable distribution. You might contact the vendor of those parts, if you are looking for a ready-to-use solution. They may have one. If they don't, then you may have to take a moment to either find something you think will be suitable or else just make it.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

ick

or,

eeds

s 15

ht I

e or

re

t.

uld

in the

see.

nal

will

how

at

plit

ou

n-

you

Makes sense linnix; in this case there is no circuit board, just the sensors, some relays, and that's all. Seems like just make it. I believe many times when you are a beginner, which I undoubtly am, you confuse yourself more than necessary.

Reply to
Chatarras

Um, I'm not linnix. :)

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

The CR30-DN sensors require a 12 to 24VDC supply capable of delivering a
maximum of 15mA to the sensor, while the CR30-15A0 need to be powered
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Fields

The datasheet is here:

and here

It shows up to 15 mA consumption current and up to 200 mA maximum output current. You need to size your supply for the number of sensors times 200 mA. For 8 sensors, you would want a supply capable of 1.6 amps. The sensors are installed in parallel across the 24 VDC supply; each load is installed between V+ (brown sensor wire) and the associated sensor's black wire in the NPN version, or between the black wire and ground (blue sensor wire) in the PNP version.

Per the first datasheet above, the output can be either Normally Open or Normally Closed - there is no analog output.

NPN wiring shown above.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr