Uncertain Capacitor Values

Hey folks, maybe somebody can help me figure this out. I was looking for a particular cap, and came to find myself a bit confused on exactly how to determine what the value is. I know about the capacitor value charts out there, and have used those before. But this cap has stuff written on both sides of it for some reason. One side looks like it has 104 with C5K below it, and the other side looks like 131 with a CH under it. It's so tiny I can hardly read either one. But I'm not sure which number to go by. Is it a 0.1uf, or a

130pf? What do the letters refer to, on either side? I'd certainly appreciate anyone who can clarify this for me!
Reply to
FyberOptic

Without seeing it, my guess would be .1uF. If you can discern the manufacturer you should be able to look up the markings. The cap is tiny or the printing is tiny?

Reply to
krw

Put a known R in series with C to ground and hit it with a square wave, look at the response with a 'scope. Do you have a 'scope?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

"FyberOptic"

** Sound very much like an AVX ceramic: 104 is the value in pF = 100,000 pF

C is the temp grade code = X7R type material.

K is the tolerance = 10%

131 is a date code.

CH is the lot code.

See page 1 of this 8 page pdf.