timing an RC car

Greetings John, Though I didn't post the original message I'd sure be interested in a circuit for timing gates. More than once I've wondered how fast things were going. I can picture portable gates that could be set up to measure anything from skateboarders to bullets. Thanks, Eric R Snow

Reply to
Eric R Snow

I want to make a timing gate for an RC car. I don't want to spend more than $50. My thoughts would be to have a light beam sensor so it would start and stop a timer when the car went through each of 2 timing gates. What would be nice is if I could find a cheap stop watch that has an external trigger attachment or one that I could open and hack into the button with out much difficulty. Any one have any suggestions on this or a better way to time an RC car? The goal is to find out how fast they are going by measuring the distance between the 2 gates and then doing the calculation. But I am also thinking of hooking up one of the timing gates up to my camera to take a photo right as the car passes by, since my camera (Nikon N90S) already has an connector for an electronic remote control I don't think that will be hard once I get the timing gates figured out.

--
Chris W

Gift Giving Made Easy
Get the gifts you want &
give the gifts they want
http://thewishzone.com
Reply to
Chris W

--
Use a couple of modulated infrared LEDs as light sources and two
infrared receivers to catch the beams.  Use an RS flip-flop as an

What kind of speed and accuracy do you need, and do you want a
schematic?
Reply to
John Fields

Hi, You have some sound ideas but as you progress you may go over your $50.00 limit. If you use a basic start/stop timer with external switches you may do it. Check these guys out for some ideas :

Good Luck, Tom

Reply to
Tom Biasi

I would love a schematic, thanks. The speeds will mostly be in the 15 to 40 mph range but some go over 60 so so up to about 70 mph would be good. I don't want to put the gates more than about 50 ft apart. I would like the reading to be accurate within +/- 1/2 of a mph. I can easily put the gates closer if that doesn't effect the accuracy too much. I could move them a little further apart but that would make the whole thing much less useful. If the accuracy falls off to say +/- 2 mph at the high end of 70 mph I can live with that, I mostly want it more accurate in the middle range.

--
Chris W

Gift Giving Made Easy
Get the gifts you want &
give the gifts they want
http://thewishzone.com
Reply to
Chris W

Long time ago when my son was in high school I made some of these timers for his science competition. I used laser pointers for a light source and photo diodes for the receivers. With the laser source I could trigger cmos circuits with just a 20k pull up resistor. The clock was a crystal IC and all of the counters were cmos 4518 dual BCD counters and displays were BCD led displays. Start/Stop/reset latches were cmos NAND gates. The LED displays came from my junk box and the rest of the circuits were under $20. Power was a 1000ma 5VDC was a wall wort. 12V battery and 7805 regulator was used for outside operation. The counter would display up to 99.999 seconds or five stages of counters. Dave

Reply to
CheapscateDave

--
I just posted the schematic to abse under the same subject as this
one.

Thanks very much for the schematic John. Eric R Snow

Reply to
Eric R Snow

--
My pleasure. :-)