The Real State Of Affairs

I had read somewhere recently that the real state of electronics technology today is actually about fifteen years ahead of what consummers are led to believe is "state-of-the-art." Is it true that military and secret intelligence technology is actually far more advanced than anything now available on the markets?

Ron

Reply to
Ron Hubbard

Unlimited buckets of money does tend to bring technology into the "useful" realm a bit quicker than normal, but there aren't any major (where major == physics changing) hidden technologies around. Even government's piles of money are dwarfed by industry, over the long term.

Reply to
krw

Nope. It's only "fifteen years ahead" in the sense that they're willing to buy stuff which won't be economically viable elswhere until fifteen years from now.

The technology exists, and (mostly) you don't need any special clearance to buy it; just large amounts of money.

E.g. I remember seeing 1 ns GaAs RAM in 1985. It cost >£1000 for

16 *bytes*.

It's also quite common for military and aerospace applications to be well behind the curve, e.g. due to a desire for a proven track record, as well as the need for extended temperature range.

Back in 1985-86, I was seeing *new* designs with a Nova 4/C processor,

8-inch floppies and a VT220.
Reply to
Nobody

Bummer...