Substituting Lexmark's No 4 and 5 Cartridges

Hi,

Lexmark's cartridges are expensive.

Has anyone found other cartridges that will fit and run the Z 2390 printer?

Thanks

Ps. Am I right in thinking that substitute cartridges would need a universal printer driver? I suppose the original driver just might work?

Reply to
species8350

Ink cartridges for different printers vary in all possible ways: size. shape, connections, with or without printhead, etc...

It is likely that the cartridges for your Z2390 will only fit that family of Lexmark printers. They probably won't fit all Lexmark models, and definitely won't fit other makes.

Staples Office Supplies and others may have cartridges under their own name for that printer, somewhat less expensive than a True Lexmark cartridge. These substitute cartridges should work with the printer's normal drivers.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca

Beware that some of the newer Lexmark printers have some sort of refill sensing technology so that they refuse to work if refilled.

We learned that the hard way, and ended up getting a used HP Deskjet for a family member after we got him a new Lexmark.

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Thanks for the responses.

Regarding the sensor, evidently there are ways around the problem. Hope I don't have to find out, but I probably will.

Best wishes

species8350