Sources for little coils?

I am looking for a source of little coils of maybe a few hundred turns, and around 10 mm diameter, for a hobby project that would use them as magnetic drive coils. It's for something that I plan on making a few of to give away as a toy, so I am just a bit cost sensitive.

Please provide complete design, including costed BOM, manufacturing plan, design review summary report, FMEA, and all regulatory certifications for the entire universe.

Just kidding. I always laugh when I read posts like that. But a push in the right direction of finding my little coils would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
Bearded Occam

"Bearded Occam"

** Small, PCB mount, 5 volt rated relays have such coils - with a soft iron core for free.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

For really low cost, you can wind them yourself. It takes time and requires patience, but is cheap. You can get enamelled wire from old transformers, TV yokes, old motors etc. You can spin the coil form with a variable speed drill. The trick is to devise an adapter to reduce the ~ 10mm diameter down to something that fits in the chuck.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

I have had luck tearing apart control relays and stealing the coil out of them. You might also look at wire-wound inductors. Mouser has a good selection.

Don Kansas City

Reply to
eromlignod