Some confuse !

I intend to purchase a micro switch. According to the previous product spec., it states 6A250VAC,10(1.5)A250V. I 'm confused that it shows two diffrent spec. Can any person help me in this question ? Thanks Best Regards

Reply to
mowhoong

The first figure is for a resistive load I believe. The other figures may be for reactive loads.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

The problem with micro switches is that there may not be much air space between open contacts, so they tend to draw an arc that damages the contacts. This is especially bad with inductive loads and DC voltage. AC voltage keeps passing through zero twice per cycle, so that helps limit the time an arc will continue.

I think the first pair is the AC rating. 6A with up to 250 volts AC.

The second set is probably a DC rating (V, not VAC), 1.5 amps with an inductive load, or perhaps an incandescent lamp load (that produces something like a 10 times inrush when the filaments are cold) and the 10 amp rating is for a pure resistance load like a heating element.

In all cases, the ratings are for some (reasonable) number of operating cycles. The switch will last a lot longer if you load to only about half of these ratings.

Reply to
John Popelish

--
"I believe"?

"may be for"?

Up to your usual technical excellence in guessing, I see...

At the very least you could have asked for the manufacturer and part
number and then pretended that you knew what you were talking about.
Reply to
John Fields

for

Yawn ...... Is that the best you've got to offer ?

What's your answer to the OP's question then ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

for

--
Of course not, but it\'s adequate for the likes of you.
Reply to

be for

So nice of you to think of me.

I was thinking along those lines too but I reckoned a prompt answer would be more use than a pedantic one.

At least the OP should now be aware that a switch rating is related to the type of load (and indeed - although not in this case - whether it's AC or DC).

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

be for

Thanks members for the reply. From the response, it seems to be DC voltage have the most destructive form than the AC voltage in micro switch's contact. It raises another question from me, that since the micro switch' contact can tolerate 10A250VDC, hence it should have higher tolerance value when apply in AC voltage.( higher than 6A250VAC ) ?

regards

Reply to
mowhoong

I haven't seen many DC switch specs shown as inrush (or carrying) and breaking currents this way, with one in parentheses), but that might well be what this very condensed spec means. Of course, if the O.P. left out a single character from this group of characters, the entire meaning might be judged very differently. I suppose, once you had seen a data sheet and a switch from this manufacturer, the meaning would be clear. So just knowing the brand might lead to a definite answer, just by the way they spec other switches.

I think that as long as you are clear about the level of confidence you have in your conclusions, and spell out your reasoning, you are doing as much as you can. Scientific-wild-assed guesses are fine, as long as they aren't implied to be gospel. Sometimes an educated guess is the best you can get.

Reply to
John Popelish

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 18:36:37 -0700, in message , mowhoong scribed:

My first guess would be the same as John P's re AC/DC, but I am confused by the parenthetical reference on the second spec. Do you have a part number? On a bit of reflection, perhaps 1.5A is the instantaneous DC switching limit, and 10A the final DC steady-state limit. Thinking along those lines, it then makes sense that the switch can handle a higher DC vs. AC steady-state.

(Casually wondering if John Fields will be along soon, to harangue John Popelish and me for guessing. Ah well, I took a risk!)

Reply to
Charlie Siegrist

Charlie Siegrist inscribed thus:

You are spot on. The 10A is maximum continuous DC. Bulgin switches

Best Regards:
                      Baron.
Reply to
Baron