Soldering paste

I recently received this and am learning about what applications it is good for.

I put a small amount on a project board and the solder seemed to adhere better.

I am using up some old RS solder that has the paste already in it, though it may have dried out quite a bit.

What situations would be good to use the paste in?

Thanks, Andy

Reply to
AK

Shouldn't have. I'm still using old lead solder from 20+ years ago no problems.

It has a very valuable role in certain circs; I'll leave that to someone else to expand on.

Cursitor Doom

I posted the question in the so called "advanced" group.

The responses looked as if they came from ex Barnum and Bailey clowns.

:-)

Andy

Reply to
AK

Some people are too clever for help.

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

It's been a long day.

I do not understand your statement?

Andy

Reply to
AK

od for.

etter.

it may have dried out quite a bit.

The description on the container is far too vague for my taste. If you're u sing that on a PC board I don't trust it. An MG Chemicals 935-P flux pen is much preferred. At least you know what's in it.

Reply to
stratus46

I think that is what we call "flux."

"Paste", in our business, actually has solder particles in it.

Get tid of that old Rat Shack stuff and but some good Kester RMA 63/37 solder.

lunatic fringe electronics

good for.

better.

gh it may have dried out quite a bit.

using that on a PC board I don't trust it. An MG Chemicals 935-P flux pen is much preferred. At least you know what's in it.

I trust it.

And I am a retired scientists and part of my job was to test things.

:-)

Reply to
AK

So, it's probably the century-old formula of ZnCl2 suspended in petroleum jelly. Paste flux of this sort is convenient for copper plumbing use, and is only slightly messy, BUT isn't generally an electronics aid.

The chlorides will wash away with water flow, and it is common procedure to use a rag to clean the exterior of each soldered copper pipe joint, but if the stuff remains, it can corrode the metal parts (and it's hygroscopic, so it attracts moisture that causes dissimilar-metal reactions).

More here: Not recommended for fine wires or printed circuit (thin) sheet copper. Folk have used it for vacuum piping, but (because it does NOT get washed away) that's the beginning of a horror story...

Reply to
whit3rd

Unfortunately, you are wrong again.

It has a ph of 7.0 +/- .3 which I verified myself with some ph test strips.

Andy

Reply to
AK

probably the century-old formula of ZnCl2 suspended in petroleum jelly.

It's water-soluble? pH test strips don't reveal much with petroleum jelly...

Reply to
whit3rd